WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl

Silpoly failure?

I have an HG Journey that I’ve had for 3-4 years, and have loved it (though I had a bit of an adventure when I discovered on a windy day that the brown/rust color is nearly the exact color of pine needles, when my stuff sack blew away in a pine forest :-). I did eventually find it.)

So I was taking a nap this Saturday (like you do), looked up, and saw what looked like a hole in my tarp. I reached up with my finger, and it wasn’t quite a hole as such, more like a weak point (it wouldn’t catch a fingernail on either inside or outside). I’m not aware of any traumas happening to the tarp.

So I’ve put some Tenacious Tape over inside and out, but thought I should confirm with the Wise my sense that this is an incipient hole, and ask whether this sort of thing happens often.

Thanks,

—r

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I had a tarp (different fabric) that I noticed a few spots that weren’t there when new. People and stuff, wear down overtime. Great to repair and get more use of your tarp.
    Or you can buy a new tarp!

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Hammock Gear currently has a 25% off sale on their silpoly tarps.

@Raladd,

Morning. To me, that looks like the fabric was stressed. Looks like there are 4 or five longitudinal strands of thered? still intact, but stretched. Maybe a branch fell and bounced off it. Maybe while packing, it caught on something inside or outside the pack.

Tenacious Tape should take care of the problem.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A falling stick or pine cone?
    I’ve had similar damage in the backpack. Once we cram and compress items in the pack and jiggle them down the trail. My damage occurred between hammock and folding wood stove. Almost identical stresses to the fabric, compared to your pic. So I try to pack items more strategically, keeping sharp/hard items isolated as best possible. Or padded with something that can take the abuse.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    That all makes sense— now I get to wrestle with temptation on replacing it. I’ve been wanting something in 13’ since I got a Ridgerunner :-).

It’s patched now, at least. I’ve had plenty of opportunities for pine cones or branches; I pack it in a snakeskin inside the stuff sack, so a gear jab seems improbable but not impossible.

Thanks!

—r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    That all makes sense— now I get to wrestle with temptation on replacing it. I’ve been wanting something in 13’ since I got a Ridgerunner :-).

It’s patched now, at least. I’ve had plenty of opportunities for pine cones or branches; I pack it in a snakeskin inside the stuff sack, so a gear jab seems improbable but not impossible.

Thanks!

—r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, there Ya go, you need a 13 footer anyway! I have also been tempted by a new tarp lately, I'm surprised I have not bought one. A year or so back, I took my appx. 13 year old JRB 11 foot rectangular for a week way up to the Adirondacks. That tarp got a big old tear a few years back when high winds knocked over one end of the metal triangle of my stand, taking my tarp down with it. It had about a 2 foot tear somewhat along one of the edges. My wife sewed it up, and I slapped some seam sealer on it. It is ugly, but pitched over my SG insulated hammock and a Tensa 4 stand, it kept me totally dry thru at least 1 all night drizzle and one afternoon's worth of a windy deluge. With 13 year old fabric and using my original DIY seam sealing. So, IMO, it is not hard to keep these quality tarps going for a LONG time with a little patching here and there.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    SLD Winter Haven 13’ should arrive this week :-). I’m a sucker for new gear, though I think I’m generally in good company on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts