Nightcat lay flat hammock and tensa solo?

I’m looking at a bridge hammock.
    the one I keep looking at is the Nightcat lay flat hammock… however, with the corner tie outs that neeed to go around a tree could be problematic with the solo being a pole…
    Has anyone tested this combo? Or does anyone have an idea on how this would work? Would it be possible to tie out to the stakes for the tensa?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That's quite an investment in $$$ and weight (7.7lbs! - i did see some spec'd at 4.4lbs). I see you've just started posting and have been a member since May. So, I'll assume - and admittedly I could be way off on this - that you are new to hammock camping. From time to time, good deals come up in the For Sale sub-forum here. The usual items are the WarBonnet RidgeRunner Bridge Hammock and the DutchWare Banyon. I think JRB has their Bear Mountain. And then there are Bill Townsend's models.

I'm familiar with the Ridge Runner and RipStopByTheRoll's (RSBTR) Bridge Hammock kit. The RidgeRunner is designed with a wider head end and a narrower foot end of 28 inches. The NightCat spec says it's only 28 inches at both ends.

There are a few other issues - like assuming that cover is waterproof, i.e. your rain shelter, because you'll be closing it up at night you'll need to be aware of condensation issues. Also, one of the advantages of the separate tarp and hammock setup is to be able to put your tarp up first - if it's raining - and have a dry area to work with your other gear.

Okay - I've now found different vendors of NightCat - different weights and prices and they have a gathered end hammock model and a bridge (i.e. lay flat) model. If "laying flat" is the goal, you can get that with a gathered end by turning diagonal to the hammock center line (assuming proper hammock sag when you set it up). Also, though some people come to hammock camping from sleeping in a bed and hence think they need to sleep the same way in a hammock, many learn that sleeping on a mattress creates pressure points that dictate your sleeping position. Those pressure points are absent or greatly reduced in a Gathered End hammock. It takes a while for my muscles to relax but by morning I can fetal up on my side in a cloud of down bliss.

Not trying to talk you out of anything - I have gathered end and Bridge hammocks from many vendors. And Clark Hammocks - which had a model like your NightCat consideration, certainly had their following.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts