Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Cohutta Wintertime Overnight

I found some time to go backpacking. 38 degrees at the trailhead when I got there at noon, but I was hiking in shorts and sans sweater after half a mile. Pounded through a couple of creek crossings that brought life to the spirit and was setting up camp before too long.

Spent an hour gathering a heap of firewood to keep me warm until bedtime. Enjoyed a relaxing fire and making dinner with my fancee feest stove.

Lows were obviously going to be below the forecasted 30 degrees when my socks were frozen solid before I went to bed at 8 pm. I'm guessing this was the first night I've been down into the teens, but didn't have a thermometer to record temperatures. It was dead calm and I woke up to a frozen tarp inside and out, as well as some ice on the topquilt. Superior Gear 15* insulated hammock and Enlightened Equipment 10* revelation kept me comfortable. I finally forced myself to get out of bed at 9 am, had breakfast and waited for everything to thaw out before finally breaking camp at 11 am when my shoes thawed enough to get my feet in and tie the laces.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Looks like you had a good time, and I am surprised with all the storms that have been forecasted your way that you could even get out, so good on you. The Georgia version of a frozen butt hang.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    Looks like you had a good time, and I am surprised with all the storms that have been forecasted your way that you could even get out, so good on you. The Georgia version of a frozen butt hang.
    It has been difficult to get out, to say the least. My buddy and I had a trip scheduled in early December, but he got sick so we rescheduled then I got sick. A storm got in the way of another trip. The forecast wasn't perfect, but good enough to give it a go with the holiday.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Looks like a nice trip.

My dad, brothers & I did quite a few trips in the Cohutta, hiking along the Jacks River back in the 70s.

Thanks for posting!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Love the pic of the frozen shoestring. Reminds me of a trip we took back in high school (1976). Woke up the next morning and jeans were frozen stiff!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    3 season WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I recall a scout campout in the 70's where we only had short sleeves and light jackets and woke up to 4" of snow and frozen oranges. No weather channel back then!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great pictures! Where were u at in the cohuttas? How were the roads?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Great pictures! Where were u at in the cohuttas? How were the roads?
    Conasauga River. The roads were pretty good. Of course, there were seasonal road closures which you aren't clearly listed anywhere online so some guys had driven all the way up there planning to go to Lake Conasauga so I tried to give some advice for alternatives at the trailhead. I'd be a little peeved driving 2.5 hrs to find a closed gate.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Nice juxtapositions of the blue and orange flames. I’m just waiting for the snow to fall here to get out at least one night! Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    This winter hasn't been easy to get out camping for me, but the weather forecast showed a break in storms and surprisingly warm weather that aligned with a weekend of no planned activities. I hiked along the trail until I saw a campsite with trees that were too perfectly spaced for me to pass up, so I setup camp next to a little waterfall and went fishing in the afternoon.

I'm not sure exactly what I did differently with my setup this time, but I had the exact perfect hang. I went to lay in the hammock and read after dinner, but feel asleep before dark. I was startled awake around 10 pm by what sounded like an animal growling right next to my hammock, but I was in a state of sleep paralysis and couldn't wake myself up eventually resigning to it probably being my own snoring. I slept soundly until 9 am waking up to a bit of sun that was eventually dulled by clouds. Rain was in the area, but I'd brought my larger tarp so I was set to ride things out and enjoy grits under the large dry area (so much better than being cooped up in a little tent burning holes in my vestibule). I did; however, forget to bring a rain jacket, so I waited until there looked to be a decent chance the rain would hold off long enough for me to make it back to the car. There appears to have been much worse weather further south, so I got lucky.

The hammock hung in the trees:

Waterfall by camp:

Spacious hangout for weather to improve:

Pretty fish:

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast