Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

What's the current thinking on Hammock Socks?

Looking forward to some Georgia Mountains late winter/spring 2023, considering as a consequence a Hammock Sock. I reviewed sundry HF posts, see a couple of candidates (Dutchware, Warbonnet), noted condensation[/I] seems to be the major enemy, and wonder what the current thinking is, as I was reading many things from ten years ago but far fewer things of recent vintage. Any thoughts?
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Much of the consideration around hammock socks is centered on temperature. The colder the temps, the better they work. Canvas socks work very well at 0° F and lower. Condensation becomes an issue at 15° F and warmer if there is no wind to whisk the moisture away.

Bottom line: there is no one perfect sock system to deal with all the temperature and humidity variables so you have to figure out your strategies and compromises - all of which take practice, practice, and more experimentation. One strategy is to keep the head of the sock open to the air so that breath vapor won't cling to the sock. One compromise is to expect frost on inner surfaces and accept it because you're still protected from the elements.

Other folks may have more to say on this topic.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use a sock most the winter at home because my hang, though outdoors, is under a roof. Condensation is just a challenging condition to play with. My GE sock has a zipper on one side, my RR sock has a zipper on both sides. The game is to open it enough for necessary air flow to minimize condensation without opening too much such that you don't benefit from the heat envelope.

And again, it's just a little frost - you can brush it off. Of course, if you at talking about some 5-day "out in the woods" trip with no opportunity to dry out your gear, that might be different. In that case, I may consider using synthetics instead of down.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL Zip or WBRR
    Tarp
    Kammock Pro
    Insulation
    WB Lynx + OV Storm
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy
    I use a WB Spindrift Sock (generally under a tarp unless the weather is fair) and keep about 4-6" of the zippers open on each side...I've rarely had an issue of condensation. However, due to the light fabric, I have had notable issues with the sock fabric collapsing in on my face from the wind. To fix this, I replaced the shock-cords from each end with static line to tie to the static portion of my suspension, then installed an adjustable ridgeline on the the interior of the sock. Now my sock stays taut AND, I have an internal ridgeline that I can hang my Hangtime Hook or other gadgets from while in the sock. With this setup, my sleep temperature increases about 8*, I have all of the storage advantages of a ridgeline, and the privacy of the sock.

To further deal with condensation AND to keep my nose warm, I have also learned to use my "32 Degree" (brand) face mask while sleeping...it is soft, pliable, keeps my face warm and dries in minutes.
    TropicalZach
    "All days are good days."

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use socks all the time, both the warbonnet and dutchware with my WBBB XLC. Recently came across a company called Onewind, very reasonable prices and good craftsmanship. I bought their 12 foot bottom entry sock. Ive used it several times in the 20* range and it is now the only sock I will use with any of my hammocks. Very easy in and out, 2 screen opening, placed just right and NO condensation! I've also just ordered their bug screen made the same way. Now my Blackbird is as close to perfect as possible.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    however my one wind sock wont fit over my HG hammock or my Dream Hammock due to the depth between the ridgeline in the middle of these two hammocks to the bottom; are much more than other hammocks such as my Warbonnet or Hennessy hammocks. If that makes sense..

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I had Warbonnet custom make me two different WBBB XL hammocks with a solid fabric sewn-on top cover instead of a sewn-on bug net. One is a 1.1 with a sewn-on 1.1 top cover and the other is a 1.7 with a 1.1 sewn-on top. I use them mostly as 3 season hammocks but have done some cold weather camping. To be honest, I have never experienced a condensation issue in summer or winter.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I never jumped on the full sock bandwagon, but I do drape things over my ridgeline to create an enclosed space. Usually, I use a poncho liner, but I'll probably sew up some 1.9 ripstop one day for when I backpack. My trick is to leave a small gap at the head end and foot end of the hammock for venting. I only do this when the temps get below 40.

I find it very beneficial. It cuts down on drafts, provides a little extra privacy, keeps the early morning sun out of my eyes, muffles external sound, and since it's draped and I only tie it at the foot and head ends I just swing my legs out and lift the middle to exit the hammock ( no zipper ).

• + New Posts