Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here are some pictures of the kind of under quilt I make for the 90 degree lounger & sleeping hammock. Instead of one long channel for the shock cord, I make several channels so that I can run the shock cord through mitten hooks, which I hook onto the hammock. This allows more attachment points to snug the underquilt to the hammock, especially under my knees. I also add a foot section to the underquilt. It is hard to see the shape of it, but the last picture shows the basic shape.
    IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    Untitled.jpg

As for modifying commercial underquilts, I haven't done that myself. Regarding underquilts, the challenge of this design (look at the picture in the original post) is getting the underquilt to follow the curvature of your body in the hammock. That's why I make my underquilts with a lot of attachment points. You would want to add some more attachment points to most commercial hammocks, I think.

This looks fantastic, thank you so much for sharing your schematic and design process.

I'm a bit new so apologies if this is an ignorant question, but do you think this design would work in a stand? i have a kammok stand and I lay 90 degrees in my double hammock most commonly in chair mode, a hammock shaped like this would make it much more comfortable. I'm not sure of the purpose of a ridgeline or if it is integral to the function if you had a short indoor stand?

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCat View Post
    This looks fantastic, thank you so much for sharing your schematic and design process.

I'm a bit new so apologies if this is an ignorant question, but do you think this design would work in a stand? i have a kammok stand and I lay 90 degrees in my double hammock most commonly in chair mode, a hammock shaped like this would make it much more comfortable. I'm not sure of the purpose of a ridgeline or if it is integral to the function if you had a short indoor stand?
    I don't know why it would work significantly different in a stand than a "regular" hammock, although personally I love rocking in this hammock, and that could destabilize a stand – but of course you don't have to rock.

The ridgeline is pretty vital for this design. You want the angle of the main body of the hammock to be consistent, or at least controllable. OTOH, I suppose if you tailor the length of the main body to the width of your stand, and you only use it in your stand, you could theoretically get away with not having a ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    I don't know why it would work significantly different in a stand than a "regular" hammock, although personally I love rocking in this hammock, and that could destabilize a stand – but of course you don't have to rock.

The ridgeline is pretty vital for this design. You want the angle of the main body of the hammock to be consistent, or at least controllable. OTOH, I suppose if you tailor the length of the main body to the width of your stand, and you only use it in your stand, you could theoretically get away with not having a ridgeline.
    I experimented with this design a few weeks ago- it works great with a tensa 4 hammock stand! You just have to adjust it so the ends are closer together.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I experimented with this design a few weeks ago- it works great with a tensa 4 hammock stand! You just have to adjust it so the ends are closer together.
    So you made one? How did it turn out?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I put together a rough prototype- I like it and it has great potential, but for now Im going to finish a project I started several months ago- a bridge hammock for tall side sleepers. My daughter is getting married next month- so life has been pretty busy. I plan to revisit the 90 degree design this summer when things settle down!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Has anyone tried this with a spreader bar at the position of the ridgeline? That way it could be suspended from a single point. I have 2 commercial hammock chairs that hang that way. One permanently installed in my living room, the other on a movable stand on the patio. As for a portable stand, I'll have to try this with all of Tensa's products but suspect the Trekking Treez and Solo may be a little low. With a spreader bar, 3 Tensa4 struts in a triangle would work.

In any event I've got to try one of these. That and the 90-degree sleeper mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Has anyone tried this with a spreader bar at the position of the ridgeline? That way it could be suspended from a single point. I have 2 commercial hammock chairs that hang that way. One permanently installed in my living room, the other on a movable stand on the patio. As for a portable stand, I'll have to try this with all of Tensa's products but suspect the Trekking Treez and Solo may be a little low. With a spreader bar, 3 Tensa4 struts in a triangle would work.

In any event I've got to try one of these. That and the 90-degree sleeper mentioned earlier in the thread.
    I haven't done it, but I see no reason why a spreader bar wouldn't work in place of the ridgeline. I think the bar would have to be pretty strong/rigid, more so if you want to have it as wide as the ridgeline length I suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    The fabric you use for the wings is important, because the wings don't work right if the fabric stretches. Most fabric will stretch on the bias (diagonally), so the only fabric I have found to work well is either Cordura with a coating or Tyvek. Tyvek is considerably lighter than most Cordura, and has proven to be quite durable.
    I wanted to report a catastrophic failure of the Tyvek wings recently on the sleeping version of the hammock. I was messing around with blankets in the dark (I had traveled across country to spend time with my parents, and was using multiple blankets provided by my mother rather than my usual quilt) and I did the thing that I always stress to people that they should avoid: I sat in the foot section. The tyvek wings on one side all failed, dumping me on the ground.

I replaced the "knee wing" – the one closest to the main body section – with an apparently uncoated medium-weight cordura fabric, which is heavier than the tyvek but working well, and is much more robust. (I don't know a lot about the cordura-ish fabric – I got it from JoAnn's fabrics locally, and you have to kind of go by feel because they don't tell you much about it.)

I will experiment more with this kind of fabric for the other wings when I get back home, and report on whether they are functionally different than tyvek.

I wanted to report this, so anyone trying to make one would be forewarned, although I think under normal circumstances it would be harder to sit in the foot section of the lounger than the foot section of the sleeping hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The first version I made using tyvek, had a similar failure. I wasn't sure if it was the tyvek I used, or my sewing technique!

--unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast