Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    FWIW, I started with Shug's method for non-DCF tarps, and then I discovered how to make internal tarp tensioners where the shock cord is integrated into the zing-it line, which I used for my DCF tarps. I've never had a "launch" that I know of, despite many times when the stake came out in wind overnight.

Internal Tarp Tensioner - YouTube
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Iceman857, I've watched the Dutch Video and it's too bad he couldn't find a longer wire so he'd make it the way he said he would if he had it - that way the example would have the more practical size.

Did you use the 1/16 shock cord (doubled over) and 1.75mm amsteel as in the video or different sizes?

It was a little confusing for me at towards the end of the video where Dutch was stretching out the shock cord inside the bury. It wasn't so clear but it looked like he must have held the end of the amsteek at the end of the bury on the stretched out shock cord, Then when he brought his hands back together, the bury would "accordion" up and he tied the loose end of the cord where he had it held.

Is that how it goes?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Oooo, that is pretty hot. And this is why I love the forums, each time I swing back by I learn something new I want to try. I really don't need to do this at all but now I think I must...maybe I'll set my kids tarps up using this method. It seems that you don't have quite as much play in the shock cord this way though. I've had some nights where I needed all the stretch the cord had to keep the tarp tight. I feel an experiment coming on. Thanks Iceman857!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Did you use the 1/16 shock cord (doubled over) and 1.75mm amsteel as in the video or different sizes?
    It was a little confusing for me at towards the end of the video where Dutch was stretching out the shock cord inside the bury. It wasn't so clear but it looked like he must have held the end of the amsteek at the end of the bury on the stretched out shock cord, Then when he brought his hands back together, the bury would "accordion" up and he tied the loose end of the cord where he had it held.
    Is that how it goes?
    Now you're making me stretch my memory. I used 1.75mm Zing-It and 1/16" shock cord, but extended it about 4" farther than Dutch did. It has just the right amount of stretch in my opinion.

As far as the finishing, I did a trial with throwaway line and just buried tag ends back into the Zing-It, from what I recall. I have some leftover, so I may have to do it again and see if I can shake up my memory.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234