Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps

Insulated Hammocks

It seems that there was a buzz about insulated hammocks a couple of years ago, but there has not been much activity on the forums since.

I'd love to hear about current opinions on insulated hammocks. I’ve got good underquilts, but I am considering insulated hammocks for the following reasons:

1. simpler set-up/take down;
    2. Possibility of lower weight; and
    3. Most importantly, reduction of cold-spots due to underquilt shift.

Your insights are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsosmith View Post
    It seems that there was a buzz about insulated hammocks a couple of years ago, but there has not been much activity on the forums since.

I'd love to hear about current opinions on insulated hammocks. I’ve got good underquilts, but I am considering insulated hammocks for the following reasons:

1. simpler set-up/take down;
    2. Possibility of lower weight; and
    3. Most importantly, reduction of cold-spots due to underquilt shift.

Your insights are appreciated.
    My $.02 worth (and these are strictly my own opinion):

Pros:

The reasons you already stated except I think any weight-saving is minimal.

Many nights call for at least a modest UQ, so there is an argument for having a modest one incorporated as a base point.

Cons:

You don't want too much UQ or a mild night so, unless you have multiple insulated hammocks, you're going to have to augment a basic built-in UQ with some form of add-on for colder conditions.

Related to that, you can't vent an integrated UQ.

Hammocks tend to call for more frequent cleaning than UQs so, every time you launder your hammock, you'll be subjecting the insulation to that. If nothing else, drying things out after washing becomes more complicated.

There is the argument that an integrated UQ, sewn directly to the hammock body can weaken it. IDK... The easiest way to minimize that concern is to make the hammock double-layered. That, of course, adds a bit of weight. (Warbonnet and SLD just keep that extra layer removeable.)

You'll want to use a calendared fabric and many have a unsightly side that may not be comfortable against your skin in a single-layer hammock.

There are probably other pros and cons that others can add.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-19-2023 at 20:21.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    I have been using my Superior Gear Hammock now for 4 months and have had it out during pretty warm days and I've been super comfortable and didn't have to worry about mosquitos biting through the fabric on the back side. Here is something to think about, when you are in your home and sitting on your couch is it insulated below you? When you get in bed at 80 degrees at night and do not use your blankets, is your bed insulated?

The only downside I see is that there isn't a breeze hitting your backside on those super warm days, however it is just like laying down on your bed or your couch. Same principle. Adjust the TQ or Blanket to your needs.

Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    I have been using my Superior Gear Hammock now for 4 months and have had it out during pretty warm days and I've been super comfortable and didn't have to worry about mosquitos biting through the fabric on the back side. Here is something to think about, when you are in your home and sitting on your couch is it insulated below you? When you get in bed at 80 degrees at night and do not use your blankets, is your bed insulated?

The only downside I see is that there isn't a breeze hitting your backside on those super warm days, however it is just like laying down on your bed or your couch. Same principle. Adjust the TQ or Blanket to your needs.

Just a thought....
    I agree that's it's always nice to have something in addition to the hammock body between you and the skeeters. An UQP can do that in really warm weather without trapping as much heat as an UQ. And, I'll admit that it has to be pretty warm for a 20 degree UQ to be a problem if it's not vented.

Most people these days don't have to put up with 80 degree (or more) indoor temps at night. For those that do, the insulating value of a mattress or couch cushion actually is rather uncomfortable.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-20-2023 at 11:13.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD
    Insulation
    mixed variety
    Suspension
    Jeep, 4 inch Lift
    Simply Light Designs offers it as an option, or he did at one time anyway.

Where I live there is never a night where I wouldn't want a least a light under quilt, so having an insulated hammock would be ok for me.

I actually think that in extreme cold an insulated hammock would really shine. It would eliminate drafts or air leaks.

But you give up some flexibility, and I have multiple hammocks and can mix and match my quilts however I want.

I think it's a good idea, if you have a specific need for one.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    Thank you all, this helps a great deal.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin P View Post
    But you give up some flexibility, and I have multiple hammocks and can mix and match my quilts however I want.

I think it's a good idea, if you have a specific need for one.
    I believe you can snap on additional quilts to the Superior Hammock - flexibility problem solved!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    If the Superior Gear hammock had a footbox and shelf like the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock, then I'd never take anything else. As it stands, I mostly take the lw double layer warbonnet hammock and wooki as I find it just a bit more comfortable, even though there's a bit of a weight penalty with essentially an extra layer underneath.

If I ever reach my target bodyweight of 200 lbs, I'll spring for the ul SG hammock for backpacking trips where the weight really matters. I'm also running out of shelf space.... first world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I believe you can snap on additional quilts to the Superior Hammock - flexibility problem solved!
    That's fine if you only have hammocks from Superior...

While I can't imagine that I would ever own just one brand of hammock, I can see that some folks might do so.

IF I only had one or more Superior hammocks and no other brands, I'd opt for the one without an integrated UQ and acquire multiple snap-on UQs.

While it is true that you can use his UQs on other hammocks (AND you can use "traditional" UQs alone or as augmentation on his), it's not the route I would choose to go.

Shug seemed to really like the bare hammock. In one vid he used an UQ that he already owned. I guess that speaks well for the product.

Some of the same arguments can be made re Dutch's Chameleon.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-21-2023 at 11:32.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Personally, I simply like the modularity and flexibility of separate pieces. I can use any underquilt with any hammock I own.

And when the hammock wears out or gets a rip, I won't lose an underquilt as well.

For weight/space concerns, UQs can be made with 10D or even 7D shell materials and weigh around 8oz for a light summer shortie UQ. With the small amount of down involved, it doesn't matter if it's 800 or 950FP.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast