Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommended 2 person hammock for day use

I've got an Eno double that we used in the summer when we go to the river. It's only used to lounge/read in for a couple of hours at a time (not for camping). It's ok, but even though my girlfriend and I are pretty small people, it's a bit on the tight side. I'm looking for recommendations for a double that might be wider? I'd prefer something that compacts down and is easily carried, but a more bulky hammock that is comfortable would be a consideration.

Thanks

Are you in it side-by-side or a head at each end? I'm guessing the latter because I can't imagine any way to be at all comfortable side-by-side reading/lounging.

The ENOs are pretty short. I think you want longer, not wider. Plenty of 11' or 12' options out there in basic, gathered-end, netless hammocks. Pick a strong fabric.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-18-2023 at 08:44.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Get 2 hammocks, hang em side by side. 2 large trees with straps coming off opposite sides or 3 trees with a shared foot or head end. 2 people in a hammock just doesn't work, many have tried very very few have made it work

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    For day use like you're asking, I'd say TominMN pretty much has it covered, longer not wider is probably what you're after.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    For day use like you're asking, I'd say TominMN pretty much has it covered, longer not wider is probably what you're after.
    They could read at night with headlamps...

[QUOTE=TominMN;2089800]Are you in it side-by-side or a head at each end? I'm guessing the latter because I can't imagine any way to be at all comfortable side-by-side reading/lounging.

Yes, heads at each end. Thanks for the suggestion on the longer hammock. I will check around and see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by timberhack View Post

Yes, heads at each end. Thanks for the suggestion on the longer hammock. I will check around and see what I can find.
    Most of the hammock vendors with subforums here offer what I suggested.

FWIW, I have hammocks from Warbonnet, DutchWare, Dream Hammocks, and RBTR. But there are plenty of others as well.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I'd look into a nice big "Mayan style" hammock in sturdy canvas. There are actual "wedding" hammocks designed for two people to lay in -- they are big enough to lay completely perpendicular.

But honestly, any hammock is going to squish two people together more than you may like, unless it's chilly and you need to snuggle.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    I'd look into a nice big "Mayan style" hammock in sturdy canvas. There are actual "wedding" hammocks designed for two people to lay in -- they are big enough to lay completely perpendicular.

But honestly, any hammock is going to squish two people together more than you may like, unless it's chilly and you need to snuggle.
    If it's truly a Mayan style hammock then it will be woven out of string more like a fishnet. And yes, it's the only hammock I've slept two people in w/o the issues created by GE (gathered end) hammocks.
    If the hammock is woven more like canvas then is probably a Brazilian or Nicaraguan hammock.
    None of the above are something I would want to pack around for a lounge hammock. Though I do have a Brazilian that I use for a day hammock. It doesn't pack that small and mine only fits one comfortably. Carrying a Mayan style around can be a bit of a challenge as the strings like to catch on everything and they get tangled up pretty easy. I've packed them around Central America for months at a time and know from experience.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    Last edited by LowTech; 06-18-2023 at 12:29.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    "double hammock" is a marketing term. It just means a bigger single-occupant hammock. The only hammock designed for two persons, I know about is the Clark Vortex - and that's just two hammocks sewn together along one edge - something like that.

Though you are not "body close", two hammocks off of one tree, one coming off the left side, one off the right, allows them to be close enough so, if they wish, one person can gently rock the other's hammock.

If your girlfriend wants you both on the same surface area, like a suspended mattress, as LowTech suggested, she'll have to get a Brazilian.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-18-2023 at 12:58.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast