Hammock
    12' SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Tandem Hanging with Beetle Buckles and Spreader Bar

Hey all! I am wondering if anyone here has experience hanging two gathered-end hammocks side-by-side with a spreader bar? I am considering trying this with my young son. It will be easier setting up only one tarp for both of us, and I think he would prefer hanging close to me.

Considerations: 1) My hammock is 12-feet long, and my son's is only about 9.5-feet long. It seems like this shouldn't be a problem as along as the head ends are in line. 2) I have a 112-inch wide rain tarp, so I think we will have plenty of coverage. 3) I am planning on trying Dutch Beetle Buckles with a 32-inch 0.582 spreader bar, but have not purchased either of these yet.

Any thoughts and advice from someone who has experience tandem hanging would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I could swear this thread has been started before. You don't need the spreader bar - just use the diameter of the trees. Bring one hammock off the left side of the tree and the other hammock off the right side. If you use a spreader bar, you will "couple" the two hammocks so any motion in one hammock will be transferred to the other. It doesn't seem like much until you discover that one person is more restless than thought - or has to get up in the middle of the night.

There is Dutchware hardware that provides clips with holes for a spreader bar - if you want to go that route.

Sometimes our brain isn't our best friend. When we lose too much heat, it tells us we "just need to lie down and take a nap.", instead of taking some nourishment. When we set up a tarp, something says the ridgeline needs to be level but a slight angle from one end to the other might be better. When we set up a hammock, it seems natural that the tree-end of the suspension comes off at the middle of the tree - while it's easier on your rigging to come off the side of the tree.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    12' SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That makes sense that using the diameter of the trees would be a better solution than a spreader bar if the trees are large enough. I can see how connecting the hammocks would transfer movement between them, and hanging directly to the tree would be more solid. Thanks for the advice!
    Many of the places where I like to backpack the trees are smallish, and I think the diameter of the trees might not provide for enough room in between the hammocks. I'm still kicking around the idea of the Dutchware Beetle Buckles and Spreader Bar. If I do try that out I will report back on my experience here. Thanks all!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    My son and a friend used the spreader bar on a trip, they were fine (sleeping like teenagers); their hammocks were pretty different, so the bar wasn’t really at a right angle to their ridgelines. You can sort see the bar at top right of the frame.

—r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    i’ve done this exact thing: 12’ and 9.5’ using spreader bar and beetle buckles. works just fine. got a Superfly that covers both hammocks nicely. the trick is getting the straps in the right spot so that nobody touches the ground at any point. it’s fun and cozy.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A Half-way idea is to use three trees - assuming they cooperate in the location. Even if it's a skinny tree, you can share the head end tree and separate them at the foot end.

Nothing wrong with spreader bars if that's what you want/need. Just mentioning some alternatives.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    12' SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I really appreciate all of the helpful input and feedback. Thanks, all!

Hammock
    Double Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchwear 2-person
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    My wife and I have been using Dutch's spreader bar and beetle buckles for years and love it. Certainly, if there are two perfectly spaced trees or one rather large tree, that is a great alternative. However, more times than not, we use the spreader bar.

Hammock
    12' SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuastar View Post
    the trick is getting the straps in the right spot so that nobody touches the ground at any point. it’s fun and cozy.
    Any tips on this setup to make things balance and hang correctly? Or mostly just a process of trial and error?

Hammock
    12' SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the input! I went ahead and ordered Beetle Buckles and a spreader bar and I am looking forward to trying it out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast