WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings

Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois, Dec 2020

I've been away from these forums for a few years, for a variety of reasons. I got back into hanging two years ago while recovering from a badly dislocated broken ankle. My first hiking trip was at Garden of the Gods in Shawnee National Forest in the far southern part of Illinois, which the glaciers never scoured. Lots of sandstone bluffs and good hiking less than six hours from my home in Chicagoland. My overnight trek into the Garden of the Gods Wilderness was only about six miles, but I needed to take it slow. My left fibula was healed with a titanium plate & 7 screws holding it together, but the soft tissues of the ankle needed some work.

I started the clockwise loop at the popular Observation Trail where I snapped the pic below of Camel Rock, which is the poster child for visiting Southern Illinois.
    PC210054.jpg

Hiking down into the Wilderness on Trail 001A, the first notable landmark is the aptly named H Arch high in the bluff wall:
    PC210056.jpg

The official trail switchbacks up and over the ridge, but I've never gone that way. Instead, I follow an unofficial trail that crosses and re-crosses the creek as it descends through a nice canyon. Eventually it meets another creek which I followed upstream through another canyon. below are a couple pics from the creeks.
    PC210060.jpg
    PC210067.JPG

I followed the creek off trail and found a nice spot to hang my WB Blackbird XLC and Mountainfly tarp for the night.
    PC210076.jpg

Before heading up to the ridgetop on Trail 108E I looked around and snapped the pic below. To the right of the tree, can you see a dragon's head with its mouth partly open?
    PC220085.jpg

Back up on the ridge before getting back to the Observation Trail, some very interesting formations can be found which the crowds never see:
    PC220102.jpg
    PC220089.jpg
    PC220088.jpg

This last one is my favorite, which I call The Scream:
    PC220097.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for posting. Didn't know about this area until today. Beautiful formations.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    A couple of us took motorcycle trips to Golconda Ill to visit a friend who owned Deer Run campground. Another friend from east of St Louis would join us. He took us to the garden. We hiked a mile loop. Gorgeous area. Always wanted to go back but haven't made it.
    The campground owner & Illinoise friend have since passed on.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I grew up in Chicagoland and never knew about this until the forums. Maybe I need to do a roadtrip.....
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    Thanks for posting. Didn't know about this area until today. Beautiful formations.
    I developed my love of hiking when I went to school at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) in the late 1970's. Garden of the Gods barely scratches the surface of what Shawnee National Forest has to offer.

Here is a very incomplete list just off the top of my head, roughly east to west:
    Rim Rock National Recreation Trail
    Lusk Creek Wilderness
    Burden Falls
    Jackson Falls
    Bell Smith Springs
    Ferne Clyffe State Park
    Giant City State Park
    Panther Den Wilderness
    Little Grand Canyon
    Inspiration Point

• + New Posts