Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Indiana

Hi from Indiana

This is all new to us. My 9 y.o. Cub Scout was one of the top popcorn sellers in his Pack and was given a full hammocking setup as his reward (he had expressed interest in trying out hammocking). Once we get through winter, we're going to try it out.....of course that means I'll need to get my own setup too.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Hammock setup by what fabricator?

Welcome to the rabbit hole of information and opinions.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Hammock setup by what fabricator?

Welcome to the rabbit hole of information and opinions.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    Easthills Outdoors Jungle Double Hammock, bug net, rainfly, and a Onetigris underquilt.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Doesn't look like a terrible hammock, kind of a basic starter. I will have to say that I'm not a fan of that type of bugnet suspension, more fiddly than I like w/ that double line setup.
    Personally, and here's where we start getting into the "opinions" part , I'd change the rope on the ends of the hammock to some Continuous Loops (CL) and keep using the carabineers and daisy chain straps.
    Then I'd see about whether I could put a Structural Ridgeline (SRL) on the hammock and use that to hold the netting up. It would also keep the "sag" of the hammock the same everytime it was set up.

The Onetigris Underquilt (UQ), those I just hate. They don't adjust well, really at all, and are big and bulky. A good Trailwinder from Simply Light Designs (SLD) is a worthwhile, relatively inexpensive, UQ to maybe look into.

Anyway, have fun, as that's the most important part.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My 2 cents
    If you get a hammock for yourself, get 11x5 feet minimum. You might or might not want width around 66 inches.

Get a 20* set top and bottom quilts.

After setting up hammock on your trees
    Attach under quilt under hammock
    Then while under quilt is still attached to hammock, pull it out from under hammock in front.
    So that under quilt and hammock are parallel to each other.

Now adjust under quilt so that entire bottom edge of under quilt is about six inches higher than bottom edge of hammock, along hammocks entire length

You should be able to see lower edge of hammock hanging just below lower edge of under quilt

Now put under quilt back in place under&around hammock for your sleeping comfort.

After under quilt is back in place adjust the short drawcords that are on both short ends of hammock.
    Do not over tighten short cords, pulling ends of under quilt into a horse shoe shape—that would cause air gaps on short ends of under quilt.

Get someone about your size to lay in your hammock, while you check for any large air gaps around all edges of under quilt where it meets your hammock.

I wouldn’t go into so much detail here, except that I’ve noticed at group hangs more than a few have problems with CBS Cold Butt Syndrome due to errors when adjusting under quilts

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Doesn't look like a terrible hammock, kind of a basic starter. I will have to say that I'm not a fan of that type of bugnet suspension, more fiddly than I like w/ that double line setup.
    Personally, and here's where we start getting into the "opinions" part , I'd change the rope on the ends of the hammock to some Continuous Loops (CL) and keep using the carabineers and daisy chain straps.
    Then I'd see about whether I could put a Structural Ridgeline (SRL) on the hammock and use that to hold the netting up. It would also keep the "sag" of the hammock the same everytime it was set up.

The Onetigris Underquilt (UQ), those I just hate. They don't adjust well, really at all, and are big and bulky. A good Trailwinder from Simply Light Designs (SLD) is a worthwhile, relatively inexpensive, UQ to maybe look into.

Anyway, have fun, as that's the most important part.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    It's a case of.....the whole kit was free, so we'll work with it.....if he gets into it, we'll look at upgrades.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Totally, it just gives you something to look into in the mean time.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    My 2 cents
    If you get a hammock for yourself, get 11x5 feet minimum. You might or might not want width around 66 inches.

Get a 20* set top and bottom quilts.

After setting up hammock on your trees
    Attach under quilt under hammock
    Then while under quilt is still attached to hammock, pull it out from under hammock in front.
    So that under quilt and hammock are parallel to each other.

Now adjust under quilt so that entire bottom edge of under quilt is about six inches higher than bottom edge of hammock, along hammocks entire length

You should be able to see lower edge of hammock hanging just below lower edge of under quilt

Now put under quilt back in place under&around hammock for your sleeping comfort.

After under quilt is back in place adjust the short drawcords that are on both short ends of hammock.
    Do not over tighten short cords, pulling ends of under quilt into a horse shoe shape—that would cause air gaps on short ends of under quilt.

Get someone about your size to lay in your hammock, while you check for any large air gaps around all edges of under quilt where it meets your hammock.

I wouldn’t go into so much detail here, except that I’ve noticed at group hangs more than a few have problems with CBS Cold Butt Syndrome due to errors when adjusting under quilts

Good luck
    Phantom, I take it that you haven't truly looked at the Onetigris Underquilt. It's made differently so that those standard adjustments don't apply. There are no end cinches, all you can do is pull it from both ends.
    I know someone that had one and they had trouble keeping it on their feet/shoulder when laying diagonal.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Fortunately, we have our own woods to play with setup before the embark on an actual camp.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghanrd View Post
    Fortunately, we have our own woods to play with setup before the embark on an actual camp.
    Or join HF in April for the HF Spring Hang in the HNF Deam Wilderness and get to see and try out many different options and opinions.

Everyone welcome even ground pounders and non-members. See Midwest Trip forum thread.

Welcome to HF
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast