Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Hi from Indiana

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Bright, IN
    Posts
    0

    Hi from Indiana

    This is all new to us. My 9 y.o. Cub Scout was one of the top popcorn sellers in his Pack and was given a full hammocking setup as his reward (he had expressed interest in trying out hammocking). Once we get through winter, we're going to try it out.....of course that means I'll need to get my own setup too.

  2. #2
    LowTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Nomadic, US SW at moment
    Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Posts
    694
    Hammock setup by what fabricator?

    Welcome to the rabbit hole of information and opinions.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Bright, IN
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Hammock setup by what fabricator?

    Welcome to the rabbit hole of information and opinions.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"
    Easthills Outdoors Jungle Double Hammock, bug net, rainfly, and a Onetigris underquilt.

  4. #4
    LowTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Nomadic, US SW at moment
    Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Posts
    694
    Doesn't look like a terrible hammock, kind of a basic starter. I will have to say that I'm not a fan of that type of bugnet suspension, more fiddly than I like w/ that double line setup.
    Personally, and here's where we start getting into the "opinions" part , I'd change the rope on the ends of the hammock to some Continuous Loops (CL) and keep using the carabineers and daisy chain straps.
    Then I'd see about whether I could put a Structural Ridgeline (SRL) on the hammock and use that to hold the netting up. It would also keep the "sag" of the hammock the same everytime it was set up.

    The Onetigris Underquilt (UQ), those I just hate. They don't adjust well, really at all, and are big and bulky. A good Trailwinder from Simply Light Designs (SLD) is a worthwhile, relatively inexpensive, UQ to maybe look into.

    Anyway, have fun, as that's the most important part.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Bright, IN
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Doesn't look like a terrible hammock, kind of a basic starter. I will have to say that I'm not a fan of that type of bugnet suspension, more fiddly than I like w/ that double line setup.
    Personally, and here's where we start getting into the "opinions" part , I'd change the rope on the ends of the hammock to some Continuous Loops (CL) and keep using the carabineers and daisy chain straps.
    Then I'd see about whether I could put a Structural Ridgeline (SRL) on the hammock and use that to hold the netting up. It would also keep the "sag" of the hammock the same everytime it was set up.

    The Onetigris Underquilt (UQ), those I just hate. They don't adjust well, really at all, and are big and bulky. A good Trailwinder from Simply Light Designs (SLD) is a worthwhile, relatively inexpensive, UQ to maybe look into.

    Anyway, have fun, as that's the most important part.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"
    It's a case of.....the whole kit was free, so we'll work with it.....if he gets into it, we'll look at upgrades.

  6. #6
    Phantom Grappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Denton NC
    Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Posts
    4,654
    My 2 cents
    If you get a hammock for yourself, get 11x5 feet minimum. You might or might not want width around 66 inches.

    Get a 20* set top and bottom quilts.

    After setting up hammock on your trees
    Attach under quilt under hammock
    Then while under quilt is still attached to hammock, pull it out from under hammock in front.
    So that under quilt and hammock are parallel to each other.

    Now adjust under quilt so that entire bottom edge of under quilt is about six inches higher than bottom edge of hammock, along hammocks entire length

    You should be able to see lower edge of hammock hanging just below lower edge of under quilt

    Now put under quilt back in place under&around hammock for your sleeping comfort.

    After under quilt is back in place adjust the short drawcords that are on both short ends of hammock.
    Do not over tighten short cords, pulling ends of under quilt into a horse shoe shapeóthat would cause air gaps on short ends of under quilt.

    Get someone about your size to lay in your hammock, while you check for any large air gaps around all edges of under quilt where it meets your hammock.

    I wouldnít go into so much detail here, except that Iíve noticed at group hangs more than a few have problems with CBS Cold Butt Syndrome due to errors when adjusting under quilts

    Good luck

  7. #7
    LowTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Nomadic, US SW at moment
    Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    My 2 cents
    If you get a hammock for yourself, get 11x5 feet minimum. You might or might not want width around 66 inches.

    Get a 20* set top and bottom quilts.

    After setting up hammock on your trees
    Attach under quilt under hammock
    Then while under quilt is still attached to hammock, pull it out from under hammock in front.
    So that under quilt and hammock are parallel to each other.

    Now adjust under quilt so that entire bottom edge of under quilt is about six inches higher than bottom edge of hammock, along hammocks entire length

    You should be able to see lower edge of hammock hanging just below lower edge of under quilt

    Now put under quilt back in place under&around hammock for your sleeping comfort.

    After under quilt is back in place adjust the short drawcords that are on both short ends of hammock.
    Do not over tighten short cords, pulling ends of under quilt into a horse shoe shapeóthat would cause air gaps on short ends of under quilt.

    Get someone about your size to lay in your hammock, while you check for any large air gaps around all edges of under quilt where it meets your hammock.

    I wouldnít go into so much detail here, except that Iíve noticed at group hangs more than a few have problems with CBS Cold Butt Syndrome due to errors when adjusting under quilts

    Good luck
    Phantom, I take it that you haven't truly looked at the Onetigris Underquilt. It's made differently so that those standard adjustments don't apply. There are no end cinches, all you can do is pull it from both ends.
    I know someone that had one and they had trouble keeping it on their feet/shoulder when laying diagonal.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"

  8. #8
    Phantom Grappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Denton NC
    Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Posts
    4,654

    Hi from Indiana

    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Phantom, I take it that you haven't truly looked at the Onetigris Underquilt. It's made differently so that those standard adjustments don't apply. There are no end cinches, all you can do is pull it from both ends.
    I know someone that had one and they had trouble keeping it on their feet/shoulder when laying diagonal.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"
    Ooops, LowTech, Iíve not looked at OneTigris Underquilt. But I was thinking maybe he would buy a more effective underquilt for himself, like an under quilt from Hammock Gear or Trailheadz or Dutch.
    No matter what quilts are used, quilts must be set up so that there are no or minimal air gaps.

    LowTech, thanks for heads up! And would you buy a OneTigris underquilt? Does it do itís job or maybe not as good as others?
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-17-2022 at 14:18.

  9. #9
    LowTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Nomadic, US SW at moment
    Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    No matter what quilts are used, quilts must be set up so that there are no or minimal air gaps.

    LowTech, thanks for heads up! And would you buy a OneTigris underquilt? Does it do itís job or maybe not as good as others?
    I would not.
    Like you said, for an UQ to be effective it needs to be adjustable in ways that allows it to conform to you when you're laying in the hammock, I don't feel like the design of their UQ does that.
    There are several venders that have been inavative in methods that attempt to make an UQ's fit, "better". Venders like Warbonnet & Simple Light Designs w/ there gathered end style UQs, Hammock Gears leg shelf, as well as people selling multiple ways to pull the UQ up more towards the ridgeline. And now of course the integrated UQ like Superior hammock has.
    All and all I think Onetigris's design is a big step backwards and not much different than tying a knot at each end of a blanket and hanging that under you . . . in fact maybe not as good as that, at least that has the gathered end effect.

    I definitely don't diss free gear, in fact I think it's great but being a designer myself I'm always picking things apart and trying to figure out how it could be better.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"

  10. #10
    LowTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Nomadic, US SW at moment
    Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Posts
    694
    Totally, it just gives you something to look into in the mean time.

    "Sent w/o me knowing"

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Hello from SW Indiana
      By spider5124 in forum Introduce Yourself
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 07-11-2015, 22:56
    2. An Indiana boy wanting to hang in those Indiana nights
      By Hooter16 in forum Introduce Yourself
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 04-26-2015, 06:02
    3. Hello from Indiana
      By bassfisher in forum Introduce Yourself
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 06-03-2014, 20:50
    4. hello from indiana
      By superstr8edge in forum Introduce Yourself
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 01-26-2013, 22:06
    5. Hey from Indiana
      By pb&j in forum Introduce Yourself
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 08-18-2011, 08:58

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •