11 ft GoHammock 2.0 w/net
    Tarp
    Apex 2.0
    Insulation
    HammockGear UQ
    Suspension
    Foxelli straps XL

Any RAGBRAI riders out there?

This will be my 4th RAGBRAI (it's a 7 day bike ride across Iowa every summer), and I'm really debating hammock camping instead of using a tent. Has anyone done this to date? Thinking I will likely need a Tensa 4.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by KPuster View Post
    This will be my 4th RAGBRAI (it's a 7 day bike ride across Iowa every summer), and I'm really debating hammock camping instead of using a tent. Has anyone done this to date? Thinking I will likely need a Tensa 4.
    Tensa Solo would be a whole lot lighter and cheaper, assuming you’re bikepacking. You can hang one end from the bike and other from the pole. If there’s a sag wagon supporting your camping, then Tensa4 has more recommending it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Tarp
    Apex 2.0
    Insulation
    HammockGear UQ
    Suspension
    Foxelli straps XL
    Thank you.... I will not be bikepacking, but rather going with a charter who will transport.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Out of curiosity can you say how much the charter is? My brother moved to IA last fall to be close to some of his kids/grand kids. I've considered this in the past and maybe with the incentive to see my bro and family it is a possibility. I'm more inclined to bike pack, but I would be interested in knowing other options.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    I have done RAGBRAI. They typically will have camping in large open areas. Trees will be at a premium. Tensa 4 will be your best bet to be able to hammock camp, be mindful that there is a weight limit for baggage. Cost of charters will vary, as an example, Pork Belly Ventures was $449 per person last year. You may be able to connect with some bike clubs that will be cheaper.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Haven't done this, but some day. My plan would probably be similar to what @Latherdome is recommending, but I haven't quite figured out how best to support one side onto the bike. It seems as though suspending from the seat post and having well placed guylines would do it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Apex 2.0
    Insulation
    HammockGear UQ
    Suspension
    Foxelli straps XL
    The charters have become much more expensive since my first ride in 2018. I have actually only used Pork Belly Ventures, I love their entertainment, shower trailers etc. I have always rented a tent from them, but that will cost me more for 7 days than it would to buy a Tensa4. There is a 50 lb weight limit for the general Ragbrai truck, but pbv allows two bags so I would be absolutely fine since the tensa weighs about 14 lb from what I've read. Definitely will be more work setting up and tearing down; it was sure nice to easily find my tent with the bag already in it when rolling in exhausted at the end of a long day's ride! But to get a better night's sleep in a hammock.....I just might have to give it a go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Apex 2.0
    Insulation
    HammockGear UQ
    Suspension
    Foxelli straps XL
    I believe the charters are all fairly comparable, and I think ScottS's post below says about $449. Add another $300-400 for a week tent rental which includes set up and teardown and transporting your bag into your tent, but if you get the support only, then that's probably about what you would pay. I think I ended up paying close to $1,100 by the time I rented a tent, had a week-long support and had the bus shuttle from the East to the West across the state a day or two before the ride started. You can absolutely do this for much less money, but you would need to pack your own camping gear and the Ragbrai semi trucks will transport it for you. I have seen people bike packing, but I don't believe there are a lot of them.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    The Tensa 4 is not that difficult or time consuming to set up once you get used to it. I replaced the ridge line and the ground separator line with amsteel to save weight, and I use my tree straps (and two extra loops of amsteel) for tie downs at the points. Once your hammock suspension and your tensa ridgeline are set to the right length, you won’t have to fiddle with it.

The tarp is where I had issues. Maybe it was just because I was camping in pretty high winds on the beach, but since the Tensa points move, I could never get my tarp to stay put. I ended up buying two tent poles from questoutfitters.com for the tarp. The two verticle poles and 4 lines with 4 stakes, using the tarp as the ridgeline made it work.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

• + New Posts