Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Getting out of your hammock

Ok so I am 65 and have had 3 heart attacks. I am not the man I used to be lol. Anyway, I find it difficult to get out of my Hammock, especially in the middle of the night. My problem is when I swing my legs out to the side my rear is down lower, and I find it difficult to be able to get up and over the side of the hammock since the side edge is higher. If I try to push it down with my hands, of course the material stretches so that seems to not work well. I end up pushing back with my feet on the ground to basically raise the hammock up as it swings to the side, and then struggling to get out . The only thing I could think of is to use my hiking poles and have them stuck in the ground on the side of the hammock that I would exit from to use as support to pull myself up. What are some of you doing? Who might have similar issues?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    How high are you hanging your hammock?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    When I swing my legs out to the side, I can have my feet flat on the ground

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Try hanging it a bit higher to keep your butt from being too low when you sit up to get out. Walking your feet back is a good strategy. Do you have a structural (i.e.- strong) ridgeline? You could experiment with a different hang angle, but also put an 8" loop of webbing on it to make a handle to pull yourself up.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    i like the pole idea. if you’re low enough, would you need to spike them in the ground? could you reach them on the ground when you’re in your hammock?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    My mom has that issue as well. What we've worked out is a combination of having the hammock at the right hight and what we call a "grab-rope" on her structural ridgeline.
    It's made of a piece of rope about 12" long that is of a good diameter for her hand. Then an overhand knot is tied at both ends. Two prussic loops of zing-it are added to the ridgeline and then larks headed, one at each end of the rope, so that the rope hangs below and parallel to the ridgeline. It can then be moved to exactly we're you need it.
    That, in addition to the walking the hammock backwards, been a major help w/ her being able to get in & out of the hammock.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    All good ideas above
    And if your hammock ridgeline was 7/64 amsteel, you can grab ridgeline and pull up with one hand while swinging legs around and kicking feet into air as you swing around upright.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Hanging higher is the key. I am 6'4" and am still learning. But I often have to use my trekking poles to move my hammock suspension up the tree another foot or so out of my reach to get the hang high enough to lounge comfortably. I have had it so low that my underquilt was only a few inches off the ground when laying and barely could get out. I am much better now at tree selection - but also much better at hanging a little higher. If you don't use trekking poles a large branch with a fork at the end to grab the straps will work just as well.

Images
    Another trick which helps is to scoot your rear end (while still lying down) closer to the edge of the hammock side on which you wish to exit. Then sit up while swinging your legs over the edge. It's a little easier to get out this way.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a very similar issue due to lack of core muscles due to a long illness. I have used the walking stick idea and the grab line to the ridgeline. What I found that works the best for me is the Hennessy Classic (bottom) opening hammock. I can put my feet through the opening then pull myself straight up with the ridgeline. Works like a champ for me.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast