Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Yeah, I've setup a few times only to realize it's too low for me to get out of easily. Deep squats after a long day of hiking: not fun. Definitely try to get it to a normal chair height then you can walk back with your feet and it pretty much dumps you right out.

When set up too low; getting your feet under you, pushing off the edge of the hammock with one hand while pulling up by the ridgeline with the other is pretty much your only shot. The closer you can get those three points in a vertical line, the easier it gets.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    My single layer light weight hammock is really stretchy and I find it harder to extricate myself from than my firmer double layer. Could you borrow a firmer set up, either double layer or just heavier material, and see if that makes it easier for you? I bet it helps.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Yeah, I've setup a few times only to realize it's too low for me to get out of easily. Deep squats after a long day of hiking: not fun. Definitely try to get it to a normal chair height then you can walk back with your feet and it pretty much dumps you right out.

When set up too low; getting your feet under you, pushing off the edge of the hammock with one hand while pulling up by the ridgeline with the other is pretty much your only shot. The closer you can get those three points in a vertical line, the easier it gets.
    If hammock is down low to ground, and it’s difficult to stand directly up, do as LowTech described in last lines of his post #6. While sitting in hammock and both feet on ground, walk backwards, or push hammock backwards, until the arc of hammock as it is pushed backwards will increase hammock’s distance from ground. Then you will be higher too, since you are sitting in hammock. Once you are higher, then your knees and hips will be more extended than they were. You will be able to stand with ease!

A 7/64 amsteel hammock ridgeline can help you pull up into position and help steady you, when beginning to stand!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Some very helpful ideas. I do have a double layer hammock as well as the single layer. I will definitely try some of your ideas. Thanks

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    No shame in using poles, staff, grab loop or combination.

I can still manage the in and out on the hammock w/o help, using the walk back method, but recently I've been using a Helinox Ground chair. Can't get up or down w/o trekking poles, but it sure is comfortable when I get there, and not prone to sink into the forest floor.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Getting out of your hammock

I got ball feet added to bottom of Helinox camp chair legs. Now Helinox chair legs don’t sink into soft soils. I leave them attached, but then Helinox chair with ball feet stuck on require a larger case.

A big help in getting up out of Helinox camp chair, but not a guarantee it will work perfectly for everyone.
    Rather than try to go directly up out of a low chair, instead rock forward with your head and shoulders lowered. Your head, and upper body should be lower than your hips. As your hips and knees extend and raise higher, then your upper body, torso and head can extend into upright position.

There are videos on YouTube that show what I’ve described. That’s where I learned this technique.
    It also works in reverse! When trying to sit down in a low camp chair. Do to drop you weight into chair—chair might break!
    And do not squat straight down—it’s more work for your hips and knees. Instead do a reverse motion of get up technique. Stand close to chair with feet a comfortable distance apart. Lean forward with head and shoulders slightly even or just lower than your hips—then gently lower hips into chair. After contacting chair, raise your head and torso into upright position.

Edit: above applies to Helinox Zero chair that weighs one pound. Ball feet probably can’t be used with Helinox Ground chair, and it sits even lower to ground. Getting up from sitting low to ground to standing can be hard to do for anyone. It’s even harder to get up as we age. Good luck!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-11-2022 at 05:21.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    Root Cause: getting old, maybe too fat, and legs and hip weaken in your autumn years. Countermeasures: Exercises and strength training to improve leg, hip, and core strength plus balance. Most Medicare supplemental plans offer the Silver Slippers program which provides free membership at most gym's and health clubs.

I hike about 25 to 30 miles/week or bike ~50 miles/week and found that I was gradually becoming a bit unsteady and avoided steep slopes and rough terrain. My wind or endurance was still good. I finally woke up and started working on leg, hip and core strength. I found some good exercises on the Corexcell Sports Training & Rehab YouTube channel. I ordered some The Cuff ankle/wrist weights from Amazon and got to work. Pretty quickly I noticed improvement when I started a daily at home strength routine on my hips and legs.

I noticed that my Medicare plan offered the Silver Slippers program that my local health club participates in. I started experiencing big improvements in leg, hip and core strength working on Nautilus and Matrix machines four to five days per week after one month. The machines I focused on were leg press, back extension, abdominal crunch, hip abduction/adduction, leg extension/retraction, and glute press. I also work on arms and shoulders.

I keep a spreadsheet daily log of my exercise activities so there is no slacking off. Another YouTube site that is worthwhile once you get on track is https://www.youtube.com/@athleanx. I am finding that my strength is returning to my 40~50's level in most areas after about two months.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    My first hammock had a lot of stretch and my second hammock has almost none. I find it way easier to get out of the firmer material.

Also like others said you should set up your hammock to sitting height so your not fighting gravity.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The Helinox Ground chair indeed does sit on the ground, or nearly so. The chair sits on a solid square frame. The Ground chair has no feet and needs no balls. It's also the lightest chair they make. Fits perfectly into an outside pocket on my Bonefire Raven. I'd probably still take my Chair Zero to the campfire hangs just to not look so ridiculous getting up and down, but solo I'd never really care and always have my trekking poles with me anyway.

The much needed back support is the same on all the Helinox models. If it's wide enough for your butt to fit in, it's gonna feel great on your back.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Great Rolloff, I might get Helinox Ground Chair to save pack weight
    If you’d be so kind to help me get up!

• + New Posts