Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    I am still getting used to hammock camping - and have learned a ton over the past year. I am not getting any younger, and I am tall (6'4"). I have found if I have a hang that needs to be lower to the ground - I have a hard time setting up. If it is somewhat low - I have found that if I am sitting with both feet on the ground, I will push back to swing backwards, as I swing back forward, that momentum often helps me pop up. However, I have had a hang that had my underquilt just a few inches off the ground. I actually found it easier to slide out onto my knees onto a ground cloth than to try to stand. Not the most graceful looking, but alot less strain than standing with sore legs.

Even the ugly sliding out onto my knees and standing up (which again I have only resorted two once sober) - is much easier than crawling in and out of a typical one person ground shelter w/a mummy bag.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hang Williams was the only post I saw that mentioned using the edge of the hammock to push off. I'm reiterating that method because you mentioned "stretch". That probably won't happen if you are using the hammock edge. That's a hand on each edge, not both hands on the same edge. Note, if you are in a bridge hammock, holding both edges as you get in/out is almost standard practice.

If not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fJ05SSSDA

You said your feet were flat on the ground. Pay attention to how you get out of a chair. What is the difference between that and a hammock? If your seat is lower and needs to be to get the proper sag for you, by holding both sides of the hammock and pushing back a little with your feet, that seat may raise enough for a graceful exit.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-08-2023 at 13:05.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    All good suggestions, I appreciate it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Not to laugh, but it's good to know it's not just me who has that problem. I end up doing that same thing with my feet as well to get it swinging. Then eventually getting my feet up under me. Or I just roll out the side to the ground and get up from there. What really gets me is when the edge of the hammock cuts into the back of my legs as I try to get out. Makes me think twice about getting in it if I have to fight so much to get out.
    I never hike alone. The voices in my head are always with me.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > What really gets me is when the edge of the hammock cuts into the back of my legs as I try to get out.

Belike - that's what I didn't like about the SLD Streamliner. I'm sure the fit is fine for taller folks (different shin-to-upper-leg length ratio). Remember, to be a true member of "the club", you have to accidentally sit in your UQ instead of the hammock at least once (but no more than three times, or else it's a different club).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    Quick thought, if you like keeping the hammock low, it might actually be a bit easier to first go to one knee on the ground next to the hammock as you get out instead of straining to get up to a standing position right off. From that 'take a knee' position, you can catch your breath, lean forward and push yourself up from the ground, now completely free of the hammock. Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully something you can experiment with. You can do the same thing getting out of a beach chair that's really low to the ground. Just slide out and get on one knee first, then get up in a way that's comfortable for you with your body structure in good alignment to make the best use of your strength.

I also really like the idea someone mentioned earlier of 'walking back' the hammock until you're almost standing before stepping away. Saw that on a video recently and will share it here if I can find it again.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Swinging Egress at 2:00 minutes in video below.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I am a swing your feet and grab the ridge line and make some kind of grunt while I struggle up.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Getting out of your hammock

After you get used to getting out of your hammock, it might be as smooth as, when a cat is about to leap from carpeted floor to a high kitchen counter.
    The cat looks where it wants to land, gathers and leaps to exact spot it wants to be.

Kidding aside, some of us do not have enough core strength in our torso and legs. And even if strong enough, there may not be enough fluid coordination to manage these maneuvers.
    But if you are almost able to get up from your hammock without too much struggle, then maybe some practice repetitions can help develop strength and coordination-muscle memory.
    An amsteel hammock ridgeline can help you pull up.
    But this move of swing around in a circular motion to turn yourself 90* and also swinging and kicking your legs can help you turn that 90* and get you from laying down to sitting up, facing away from your hammock trees.
    As I was trying to say, this maneuver is a fluid motion, and probably not helped by grabbing hammock ridgeline.

I draw my knees closer to my chest before kicking up and to the side with my feet.
    Kinda hard to describe.
    If you go to a group hang, find someone who can get up easily, and film them several times doing that exact motion. Later try to duplicate the move.

After drawing my knees towards my chest while laying in hammock, I kick both feet really high and towards side of hammock, that I want to exit.

I wish you good luck!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-19-2023 at 19:36.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've met several people of advanced age who swear by the bottom-entry (classic) Hennessy Hammock for ingress/egress of hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast