Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Electronics and Water Filters in the hammock

In freezing temperatures, it's important to keep the water filter warm to make sure the inside of it doesn't freeze and crack. In addition, electronics (batteries and cell phones in particular) don't do especially well in cold temperatures. What's the best way to deal with these in the hammock? Maybe there's an easy solution, though it's occurred to me that a small pouch sewed underneath the hammock would be ideal for keeping such items inside the insulation without risking rolling on top of it in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Phone goes in a chest pocket if I need the alarm to wake up early. Head lamp stays around my neck. Otherwise all electronics, fuel canister, anything I don't want to freeze, and zip lock- bagged filter go in my clothing bag under my knees in the hammock.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    What's the best way to deal with these in the hammock?
    Chest pocket or pants pocket. Chest pocket is usually more comfortable since I'm lying on my back.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Before putting water filter in pocket, put inside plastic bag in case it drips water on your clothes

Maybe a good idea, maybe not
    If no plastic bag, shake excess water from water filter before placing in pocket

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Plastic bag for the water filter, tie up a sleeve of my fleece and put it in there, use the fleece like a scarf.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Phone goes in a chest pocket if I need the alarm to wake up early. Head lamp stays around my neck. Otherwise all electronics, fuel canister, anything I don't want to freeze, and zip lock- bagged filter go in my clothing bag under my knees in the hammock.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I do a similar thing, however I tend to put everything (including my wipes - don't forget they freeze too!) in various pockets of my down jacket, then bunch that up and put it under my knees. Gives my knees some support, keeps things from freezing, and as an added bonus my jacket is already pre-warmed in the morning

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I keep a dry bag in the footbox of my UQ. It is roomy enough never had much issue with my feet feeling squished and I figure gotta be fairly warm down there. Stuff in there is normally anything I don't want freezing (electronics, water filter, etc.) and whatever change of clothes I'm not wearing. I do sleep in a RR so might be less comfortable in a gathered end.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    In the winter I skip the water filter and go with AquaTabs.

Any water that's used for food/coffee is going to be boiled anyway, so all that needs treatment is drinking water. Many times I will melt (not boil) snow for water, and if it's fairly fresh snow I won't treat it further. However, old snow has a lot of crapenschmutz in it so I'll likely add some AquaTabs or boil it. And definitely use a strainer to remove the bigger chunks.

Late winter snow can be quite icky...

schmutz_strainer.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’d only recommend boiling instead of filtering in areas where you’re sure the water hasn’t passed by agricultural lands. Too much fertilizer and too many hog lagoons in my part of NC to drink unfiltered, even if it’s boiled. :-) I miss hiking in the mountains as a kid — we rarely filtered anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Please keep this thread focused on water and electronics in your hammocks and not on other aspects of water and electronics. Otherwise, this thread will be moved to the Donating member area which the OP is not a member of.

Thanks
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast