Jones Falls on the AT

Does anyone know if there are any good hang spots at Jones Falls along the AT?

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    It’s a narrow trail with no good campsites. You could definitely find some hang sites although the terrain can be steep, and underbrush an issue. There is an old gently sloping climb back up to skyline drive that would have the best hanging sites. You can’t hang too close to the stream due to snp rules.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    It’s a narrow trail with no good campsites. You could definitely find some hang sites although the terrain can be steep, and underbrush an issue. There is an old gently sloping climb back up to skyline drive that would have the best hanging sites. You can’t hang too close to the stream due to snp rules.
    I wonder if there is more than 1 Jones Falls! The one I'm looking into isn't anywhere near Skyline drive.... It's off 19E in TN a few miles north of Mountain harbor hostel. Does anyone know about this one?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPoca View Post
    I wonder if there is more than 1 Jones Falls! The one I'm looking into isn't anywhere near Skyline drive.... It's off 19E in TN a few miles north of Mountain harbor hostel. Does anyone know about this one?
    You are correct. There is more than one Jones Falls trail off the AT. The one chef4 is describing is in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. I've hiked there many times and chef4's description of the trail is accurate, although there is one decent campsite site below the falls near the confluence of Jones Run and Doyle's River.

As you state ... the Jones Falls you are looking for is in Tennessee and has perhaps more notoriety for those who hike the AT through Tennessee. Unfortunately, I haven't hiked that particular section yet, so I can't help a lot. But it does appear (from various Appalachian Trail resources and maps) that the Mountaineer Shelter is in the vicinity, although not right at the falls.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutch 11-foot
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    It's a narrow side trail to the Jones Falls in Tennessee. I'm not remembering a good hanging spot right at the falls.

North of there, you pass a nice flat area next to the river - perfect for tents, of course. Maybe you'd find good trees a little further away from the river.

And, as someone mentioned, Mountaineer Shelter is 4 miles north of Jones Falls. I hung at the side of the tenting area (my fellow backpackers were all ground-dwellers). But there were also two hangers who found good places behind the shelter...

• + New Posts