SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Upstate NY in June?

Well, it’s December now, and at 10pm it’s 63°F in my part of Florida.

So, naturally, i’m wondering what June nights in upstate NY are like. I avoid camping in Florida summer because it’s hard to sleep when it’s 80°F and 95% humidity.

I’m not sure where we’d be going, since i’ve never been there before. Maybe south of the Adirondacks? Utica? Saratoga Springs?

Anyway. I’d have the whole family, so we’d alternate between hammocks/tents, and cabins or yurts. Grounds with showers would be nice occasionally. We’d be around for a week or two.

Does anyone have recommendations for something like that?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There are probably going to be a lot of bugs in June in upstate New York. I've never even tried to go camping in upstate NY in June - I've heard the bugs are horrifying. I have never gone to upstate NY earlier than August.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    June nights can still be a little chilly that far north, say 40s-50s.

Black flies, as SS mentions, can be a bigger problem, so prepare for that... https://visitadirondacks.com/recreat...ack-fly-season

Something you might like to research is the Putnam Pond / Pharaoh Wilderness area. I'm not a campground or cabin user myself, but these amenities are available at Putnam, and there's direct access to fairly easy trails in Pharaoh, although they can still be quite rocky in some areas. Or you can make it harder if you like by going farther into Pharaoh and up Pharaoh or Treadway mountains. The north approach to Pharaoh is relatively easy, the southeast approach no so much.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    This is great info! Thank you both. Do you know if black flies are a problem everywhere in the NE during that time?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuastar View Post
    This is great info! Thank you both. Do you know if black flies are a problem everywhere in the NE during that time?
    From personal experience, yes. In Canada, very memorable experiences in Algonquin around that time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    well, bummer. I was hoping to find a chilly, hangable place to camp in June. Need to get out of this Florida heat for a bit!
    Maybe I should look further west. thanks y’all!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    North Carolina mountains have some wilderness trails for backpacking or car camping. And there are campgrounds in some areas with shower houses and flush toilets. And or you can step up to renting cabins.
    Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia has numbered campsites and shower houses with toilets. Grayson Highlands also has cabins and “yurt cabins” available in same campground. I think these cabins have bathrooms inside those cabins.
    Book well in advance because they get booked up early on.

Elevations in NC and VA mountains are cooler and there are mosquitoes but not excessive amounts.
    I think many campgrounds spray for mosquitoes.

Good luck

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    West Virginia is beautiful and mostly bug-free in June. Night temps about 50. Watoga State Park in Pocahontas County has 40 miles of trails in its 10,000 acres, cabins, and campgrounds with nice bathhouses. It's 20 minutes to trailheads in the Cranberry Wilderness for backpacking. I've taken friends backpacking, then headed to Watoga the last night for hot showers and a feast around the campfire.

That's just one destination in WV. There are hundreds more (and more still in SW Virginia and western NC). I moved to Appalachia because the highlands reminded me of the Adirondacks.
    Last edited by WV; 12-05-2022 at 20:50.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Certain parts of NJ are not that bad in June - basically you gotta worry about an hour before and an hour after dusk. Same with dawn - an hour before and an hour after. Connecticut and the lower part of New York are similar.

Massachusetts is a hell hole for mosquitoes in the summer - just brutal.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    West Virginia is beautiful and mostly bug-free in June. Night temps about 50. Watoga State Park in Pocahontas County has 40 miles of trails in its 10,000 acres, cabins, and campgrounds with nice bathhouses. It's 20 minutes to trailheads in the Cranberry Wilderness for backpacking. I've taken friends backpacking, then headed to Watoga the last night for hot showers and a feast around the campfire.

That's just one destination in WV. There are hundreds more (and more still in SW Virginia and western NC). I moved to Appalachia because the highlands reminded me of the Adirondacks.
    okay, this sounds perfect! do you know if they have specific tree strap requirements or anything like that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast