Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki

Missouri Frozen Butt Hang January 27-28, 2023 - Bell Mountain on OT

Starting this thread to test interest in another MO FBH. We have some nice new trails along the Current River that would be ideal except for the ONSR prohibition on hammocks in “organized campgrounds”. Perhaps we could locate a hang site close to parking for night one, then hike the trail in further for a Saturday night hang. I will inquire of Ozark Trail regulars to get some suggestions. Of course, this is open to any suggestions that are appealing to those interested. Post if you are interested along with any site/hike suggestions. Thanks, Joe

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    I would be interested. Located in Western Ky (so close to the SEMO area) - and have never hiked/camped in MO. That probably doesn't help much with site selection - but I could easily get away for a weekend.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    We would love to have. you. Our normal routine is to camp at or near a campground on Friday night, then hike in to camp on a trail Saturday night. We will get some suggestions and I am working on one. Joe

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly

Missouri Frozen Butt Hang 22/23

What are you thinking for dates? I live in northeast MO so nothing is very close for me. What about bell mountain for a camp location if the other doesn’t work out. Could camp at the bell mountain trailhead off state hwy A for the first night. I believe that was done a few years ago. Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mo_hunter; 12-06-2022 at 19:43.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    I've been watching this page since October hoping that someone would break the ice, so to speak. It's interesting that you mentioned Bell Mountain because that's what I was going to suggest if nobody spoke up in the next few days. That's where the first MO FBH was held five or six years ago and has all the ingredients for a good trip: a trailhead with an established campsite near the parking lot, a flowing water source, and a scenic destination for the second night's camp. I guess we'll see what other suggestions folks come up with... I'll go anywhere y'all decide. As for dates, traditionally it has been held the first weekend of January (so in this case Jan 6-8), but that is not set in stone. It makes more sense to schedule it when most people can attend and/or to avoid an especially wet forecast. A big thank you to runners_low for getting the ball rolling!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Bell Mountain is indeed a great location for a hang for all the reasons mentioned. The traditional weekend would work fine for me. There have been some break ins at Bell some time ago. If somebody has trail cams it might be a good idea to put some out. I posted something a couple weeks ago on the OTSHAB group and will update it with the possibility of a Bell Mountain location. Twenty are you planning to message some of the regulars? Mo hunter it would be great to have you join in.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Bell Mountain area looks great and something I need to explore anyway - only a couple hours away for me. I usually drive twice as long in the other direction for a get away (not from this area).

As someone who has never participated in a group hang - or really any organized trip outside of a group of friends -any advice on what to bring/expect are welcome and appreciated.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kstpehens View Post
    Bell Mountain area looks great and something I need to explore anyway - only a couple hours away for me. I usually drive twice as long in the other direction for a get away (not from this area).

As someone who has never participated in a group hang - or really any organized trip outside of a group of friends -any advice on what to bring/expect are welcome and appreciated.
    Hey kstpehens, welcome to the forum! What to bring? Based on prior years, some folks bring enough food to share on Friday night (kinda like an informal pot luck) but this is by no means obligatory. Bring a camp chair. If you have some extra firewood laying around, that is always appreciated. It's common that some folks can't make it for the Friday night kickoff and instead show up early enough Saturday morning to join the group hike to whatever the destination is that year. Others only come for the Friday night camaraderie around the campfire and head home the next day. Some years there have been 15-20 attendees, while other years have been pretty sparse. In 2017 we had overnight temps below zero, but that is well below average for this area. It's far more likely we'll get lows somewhere between 15-25F. Every year is different, of course, but on previous FBH's the age range was late teens to 70+. As you might expect for a deep winter camping trip, it's primarily guys who come out, but most years there are at least a couple of brave women who are up for the challenge. Everyone I've ever met on these outings has been friendly and welcoming.

If you are so inclined, you can take a look at previous year's planning threads and trip reports to get a better feel on what to expect. Here are a few links.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-amp-8-January
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ozen-butt-hang
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-6th-8th-2017

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by runners_low View Post
    Bell Mountain is indeed a great location for a hang for all the reasons mentioned. The traditional weekend would work fine for me. There have been some break ins at Bell some time ago. If somebody has trail cams it might be a good idea to put some out. I posted something a couple weeks ago on the OTSHAB group and will update it with the possibility of a Bell Mountain location. Twenty are you planning to message some of the regulars? Mo hunter it would be great to have you join in.
    Hey Joe! Yes, I will reach out to prior year attendees who don't chime in here and give them a heads up. And yes, I have a game cam I can bring to monitor the parking lot as long as you promise to remind me to take it down Sunday before we all head home.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    Hey Joe! Yes, I will reach out to prior year attendees who don't chime in here and give them a heads up. And yes, I have a game cam I can bring to monitor the parking lot as long as you promise to remind me to take it down Sunday before we all head home.
    I hope to be able to make it this year. I love Bell Mountain, so that would be fine with me, but I'll try to make it regardless of location.

mathineer

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast