Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I generally keep my tarp and my gear hammock (MollyMac clone made by kitsapcowboy) right up at the top of my pack, or in the mesh front pocket. If it's raining, I setup my tarp first, then get the gear hammock setup. I love the gear hammock because it's just a flip over cover; SEEP as MollyMac calls it (Side Entry/Exit Portal). Super easy to get in and out of, and keeps everything bone dry.

After the tarp and gear hammock are setup, I can just chill under the tarp, or continue with getting the hammock strung up. I will usually just take a few minutes under the tarp to reassess my site, hanging trees etc, and then get stuff done (or get a snack).

You can also drop your tarp so the sides are closer to the ground.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    5 ft gear hammock and a cheap UST "survival" tarp. (The yellow one)
    20210613_084810 (1).jpg

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Use a larger tarp. Mine is 12x12 and I hang it low. We had 2 hammocks under it and slept through a terrible storm. We stayed dry.
    20220730_180719.jpg

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There will be times that, no matter what you do, you will get precipitation under the tarp. I like to quote Andrew Skurka who said "the goal in backpacking is not to stay dry, but to be comfortable when you are wet." I've been in some major blows with wind driving rain upward to my hammock, from the bottom of the tarp, 4 inches above the ground (and that wasn't splash, either). I've also been in snow storms where, even though the doors were closed, everything under the tarp was covered with snow within just a few minutes from flakes pouring through the tiny suspension gap at the top.

Having said that, you will fare better in this regard with a wider tarp. Like others have said, if i expect foul weather I also hang my pack and my shoes from the hammock suspension, or at least cover them with the pack cover and place them on the ground towards the lee side of the hammock foot print. If the site floods, though, it doesn't matter where you put things: if it's on the ground, it's wet at best, floating away at worst (ask me how i know).

A longer tarp givers more room to hang gear at the end of the hammock, but this means you have to hang the tarp higher, leaving less side coverage for the bottom of your hammock. So, you need to find the right balance. If you always prepare for the worst, you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bonsaihiker; 12-14-2022 at 15:32.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My latest is Dutch’s Bonded Xenon Winter Tarp
    Lots of choices, size and color. Twelve foot ridgeline by eleven foot six inches wide with doors on both ends and two internal pole mods should keep me much more dry than my old tarps. I could have got eleven foot ridgeline, but want a larger footprint to keep rain at bay. When I got my old tarps, I choose no doors, now I’m trying doors to stay more dry.

In extreme windy thunderstorms a good strategy is to repack hammock and quilts, and dry sleep clothes into dry bag. A dry bag can be inside or outside, enveloping pack, closed tight to wait out rain storm in rain coat while sitting on camp chair under tarp.

I did not think of this, but remembered Shug has employed this method to wait out severe thunderstorms. After storm passes, set dry hammock and quilts under tarp. And sleep, dreaming of dry sandy beaches

Thanks Shug and thanks Dutch!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have done that twice in big blowy rain blusters. Just put everything in my pack and sat on my pack riding it out. Big storms like that seem to pass fairly quickly.
    It is just a by-product of the Tarp Life~~
    Shug

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    My latest is Dutch’s Bonded Xenon Winter Tarp
    Lots of choices, size and color. Twelve foot ridgeline by eleven foot six inches wide with doors on both ends and two internal pole mods should keep me much more dry than my old tarps. I could have got eleven foot ridgeline, but want a larger footprint to keep rain at bay. When I got my old tarps, I choose no doors, now I’m trying doors to stay more dry.

In extreme windy thunderstorms a good strategy is to repack hammock and quilts, and dry sleep clothes into dry bag. A dry bag can be inside or outside, enveloping pack, closed tight to wait out rain storm in rain coat while sitting on camp chair under tarp.

I did not think of this, but remembered Shug has employed this method to wait out severe thunderstorms. After storm passes, set dry hammock and quilts under tarp. And sleep, dreaming of dry sandy beaches

Thanks Shug and thanks Dutch!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    This is actually yet another advantage of using a hammock instead of a tent: at least for those of us blessed by topography. You are free (as long as there are trees to hang from) to camp anywhere to get out of the wind, at least. Have you noticed how you can usually find a spot on the leeward side of a hill where the wind is reduced significantly? This is the always best place to ride out the storm.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The 20 tips for hanging in the rain are great.
    I try to find the bigger diameter trees when it’s raining. I don’t have doors on my tarp. And try to get closer trees to block the wind and rain.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One "downer" I had with a hammock was the need to hang near trees in the rain. It came from a memory of pitching a tent under tree boughs for additional rain shelter. Problem was, when it stopped raining. Had I setup out in the open, my gear would be drying as soon as the sun came up. But under that tree, it was drip, drip, drip, all morning long. But the good thing about the hammock is, although you will continue to have that drip while tenting companions are basking in the morning sunshine, the only thing that will really be wet is your tarp. Everything else can be packed up dry, then you can undo the tarp and take it out in the sunlight until it's time to move camp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast