Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Like cmoulder, I also use a piece of of polycryo (a clear plastic film used for insulating windows in cold weather) though mine is larger at 5x7 feet. It's pretty durable stuff- I do stand on mine. One warning- do not use on snow (don't ask me how I know this).
    lol, yeah not good with snow.

Back when I were a groundling I had a very 'interesting' night using polycryo as a groundsheet. I got about 10 minutes of REM sleep, dreaming about greased pigs.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am currently doing the lighter tyvek version but was interested in hearing about other options. I like the shower curtain idea also.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    I bought a DCF zpacks rain kilt years ago. I have used it a handful of times as a rain kilt (great in warm weather during downpurs). However, It has served as my vestibule ground cloth and now I spread it out under my hammock to place my pack and shoes on - Because of this - it is one of my most used pieces of gear and still holding up.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I had an old pool warmer/cover laying around and cut a 30"x36" piece out of it. Works fine and is basically like a heavy duty piece of plastic. I started with a contractors trash bag which worked great and was dual purpose. Problem was being double layer you could go for a ride when the layers slide on each other. LOL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett

Ground Cloths?

My version of a ground cloth is very similar to Shug’s, and wouldn’t exactly call it a ground cloth. I use a 22 x 18”piece of reflectix that I cut from a large roll. Weighs close to nothing and folds up easily. It doubles as a sit pad or even a foot pad to use in the hammock if things get colder than expected.

I usually put my extra stakes and camp shoes on top to keep from blowing away on windy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Mentally, I'm still in the Smokies"
    https://lighterpack.com/r/x0j67m

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeyJ View Post
    My version of a ground cloth is very similar to Shug’s, and wouldn’t exactly call it a ground cloth. I use a 22 x 18”piece of reflectix that I cut from a large roll. Weighs close to nothing and folds up easily. It doubles as a sit pad or even a foot pad to use in the hammock if things get colder than expected.

I usually put my extra stakes and camp shoes on top to keep from blowing away on windy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, yes. I carry one of those also. Great for kneeling to get fires started or keep backside warm while in my Helinox chair.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I have a 5’ x 4.5’ “picnic blanket” from Amazon (cheap water-resistant nylon) that I usually use, but I also have a Tyvek sheet with grommets I sometimes use, and a small 2’x2’ ground square that I use if I’m really trying to cut weight. I like having a floor for shoes, pack, etc. It reduces the leaf litter I’m sleeping with. I have some anodized aluminum tent stakes I use for the corners; they’re sort of thick shepherd’s hooks, so I don’t trash my foot if I step on one without shoes on, and that gives me some extras if I need them (since I don’t *have* to have the ground sheet).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I had a large WW tent worn out from Festival days past. I cut a 2' x 2.5' piece out of the rain fly and it became my goto.

I've had great intention to cut a more even and better-looking piece and hem the edges. Maybe get crafty and set it up to work as an emergency door or beak on short notice.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I had a large WW tent worn out from Festival days past. I cut a 2' x 2.5' piece out of the rain fly and it became my goto.

I've had great intention to cut a more even and better-looking piece and hem the edges. Maybe get crafty and set it up to work as an emergency door or beak on short notice.
    That's another great idea. I know I have old tent rain fly's piled up somewhere I could cut a piece out also. Need to see what they weigh compared to my tyvec.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I use a small ground sheet that came with my Coleman Sundome tent. It's about the size of a welcome mat. It's not ultralight but it's just what I use. During my most recent trip when it rained I also brought the ground sheet from my lanshan 1 trekking pole tent. I used it as like a rain pack cover for my backpack too so it had multiple uses.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast