WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Warbonnet Diamondback - Zippered footbox regrets? Looking for versatile TQ

I used the hammock camp in cold weather often. But have been out of it for years. Planning to get back into it with hopefully a full Warbonnet setup.

I’m leaning towards the zippered footbox, so I can use it as a flat quilt when not hannocking and it warmer temps.

I think most of time having a seen footbox would be fine, but I like the idea of having options… even if I might never use them

Any negatives I’m not considering for the zippered footbox?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I prefer a zippered to a sewn footbox, because it makes it easier to hang the quilt to air after I’ve used it. The downside of that for me has been the little hole at the end, since you can never really tighten the drawstring all the way. Hammock Gear actually makes a down plug to put there (don’t have one), or you can use a sock or some other clothing to plug it. I also sleep in down camp shoes when it’s cold, in which case I never notice whatever draft is theoretically there. I suppose there are also people who begrudge the weight of the zipper, but I’m nowhere close that that level of UL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    I prefer a zippered to a sewn footbox, because it makes it easier to hang the quilt to air after I’ve used it. The downside of that for me has been the little hole at the end, since you can never really tighten the drawstring all the way. Hammock Gear actually makes a down plug to put there (don’t have one), or you can use a sock or some other clothing to plug it. I also sleep in down camp shoes when it’s cold, in which case I never notice whatever draft is theoretically there. I suppose there are also people who begrudge the weight of the zipper, but I’m nowhere close that that level of UL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was worried about the remain of hole, but sounds like it comes with one, “ Zippered/Drawstring footbox option comes with an attached down draft plug to seal the cinch hole.”

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For me, my warmest TQ is rated at 0° and I have a sewn foot box. My Lighter TQ's (20° or 40°), have a drawstring closure - less mechanically complicated than a zipper. If I were swapping the TQ between a "throw blanket" and TQ often, I might consider a zipper. I already have to unsnap the bottom. But mostly the gear is used either as a TQ or in the storage bag.

I believe that HG down "plug" costs around $10. It's like a small, round, down pillow with a loop that the foot end snap holds in place. Considering there are often clothing parts you want to keep warm when winter camping, they could go to the foot of the TQ to block that small opening. I am usually in a sock in the winter so "draft" is already dealt with.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket or whoopie
    I have the zippered footbox on my WB UQ and am happy with it. I added the "plug" that cougarmeat mentioned and it works fine. Like you stated, the versatility is nice but it makes more sense for warmer quilt levels when you will more likely have warmer feet than you can bear with. I mainly went with it because it was not a big cost difference and definitely not a big weight difference.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I bought a diamond back tq a few years back. It is by far my favorite quilt! Not sure what makes the difference but it just feels right! I got the zippered foot box- works great, and the hole at the end of the foot box isnt a problem. Enjoy ur new quilt!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts