Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images

Carpentry Help. 15' equalateral Triangle hammock stand 6X6 posts 2x6 braces

Hey All!

I plan to sink 3 6X6 posts 15' each side to make a triangular hammock 'garden' in my back yard. I'm planning to brace the top of the posts with 2 X 6's for beams and lag bolts. - At least that's the thawt for now. I'm looking for help as to how to trim the top of the posts to attach the beams. I'm having a hard time envisioning the cuts...

Everything I am seeing is either for a single hammock or doesn't quite show what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for any Links or thoughts.....

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’m not a carpenter, but I know it’s not a good idea, when starting a nail to hammer—is do not hold nail like a pencil. In case of a missed strike on nail head, your finger will be smashed on board you are nailing. Avoid that blackened fingernail from hammer strike. Later the fingernail might fall off and have a rough time growing back.
    Hold the nail up close to the nail head. Either palm up or palm down. This is counterintuitive, but will give you a few milliseconds to pull your fingers out of harms way when starting a nail, in case of miss strike. If a hammer strikes fingers that are in the air, those fingers will not be badly injured. But if hammer strikes fingers that are trapped against the board, then fingers can be smashed.

Use? treated wood. Might last longer.
    If using nuts and bolts, use rust proof nuts, bolts, and washers.

A high skilled carpenter can build this, and make it beautiful. Those angles for cut and fit can be done, but will require careful design and planning.

Or go for 4!
    Use four posts, set in a square configuration. Then all 2x6 attachments will be flush with each post. This will be gazebo without a roof or a pergola.

This will give you place to hang four hammocks.
    And if you set an extra 2x6 to opposite corners, you will now be able to hang five hammocks.

Aaaaaaaiiiiiggght

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If I am envisioning what you are thinking you will need 60* cut where the 2x6 attaches to the 6x6 post. This is figuring you will attach the 2x6 to the side of the 6x6 51/4" down from the top of the post. It might be an easier solution to get Simpson type connectors instead of lagging the 2x6 to the 6x6. They make Simpson connectors in angles for attaching joists. I'm not sure about a 60*. Instead of a joist hanger, if they don't make 60*, you might take a simpson angle bracket and bend it into a 60 for the outside and a 30 for the inside.

If that doesn't work, it probably would be more pragmatic to plant the posts and take a bevel square to get the angles. Or even anything with two parallel edges, place on the 6x6 face and draw the angle line on the 2x6. I say most pragmatic because then you don't have to get the 6x6 aligned exactly in the post holes. Or go down to the basement or garage and draw/chalk it out to the 6x6 and 2x6 interface.

PS: yeah, I was a journeyman carpentry many decades ago. Such as back in the days when yankee screw drivers were used for drivers instead of cordless drills/drivers and mini versions were used to drill small holes for finish work. Framing was done with one of those old doohickies, call a hammer. But at my age I absolutely love cordless tools, compound miter saws, and pneumatic nailers, how sweet it is.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 11-26-2022 at 18:38.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I would use round poles, a chainsaw, a hatchet, a hammer, and deck screws. This monkey already has a headache.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Sounds tricky. If it is an equilateral triangle that means each interior angle will be 60°. To do that the top of each post will need to be a 30-60-90 triangle with the base being 2 ¾” and the center being 4 ¾”.
    triangle.jpg

How to cut that will be tricky unless you have access to a bandsaw. Or are good with a hand saw. A good panel saw or bow saw will work. You could probably screw some scrap wood onto the post as a guide to hep keep the cut straight. But it will be tricky.

Hopefully the picture comes through.

You will also need to sink the posts in at different orientations so the base of the post 'triangle' faces the center.

What kind of soil are you sinking them into? You might be able to get away without the bracing between the posts unless it is clay. Then it will slowly tilt. You could also go the other direction and anchor them 'backwards' with a short post (or anchor) in the ground and a wire with a turnbuckle attached near the top. I do this sometimes for fence posts. The turnbuckle is nice as the wire will stretch slightly over time. Could also use chain and then it won't stretch though will be harder to get tight. Though this will be easy to trip over.

BTW, make sure you pack the post in with gravel or concrete and keep the top of the post 'filling' proud of the ground so the post can breathe. If you don't it will rot off even if it is pressure treated.

FWIW, I am bit of an amateur woodworker (and a geotechnical engineer by degree). I do my dovetails by hand. But getting good straight cuts by hand requires practice. I would find a piece of scrap wood to practice on before cutting into anything you intend to use. When I do dovetails I will take a piece a scrap wood and make a set, and then chop them off and make another set. And another. And another until I am happy with my work. And then I will start touching wood I care about.
    Last edited by Sean McC; 11-30-2022 at 14:47.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    Thank you so much for your response.... I see the cuts and thnk I could do it... However, wifey has decided it will now be a rectangle....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Squares are easier. I at one point did a natural stone patio that my spouse decided needed to be in the shape of a tear drop. Boy was that a pita. Came out great and people would tell me that I could do that for a living. Yeah. Only is I pay myself 1c/hr. That took forever...

• + New Posts