OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln

Race Brook Falls, Sheffield MA

Did my first official hammock excursion (solo) and had a blast! Went to Race Brook Falls area, which I had visited 2 weeks ago with my son. We made it from the trail head on Rt 41 to the intersection with the AT and then had to turn back due to a late start. Great hike, lots of ice at the higher levels, and my son of course was wearing sneakers! Had a great time though and swore I'd be back soon to overnight at the Race Brook Campsites and that's what I did this past weekend. Only 2 weeks later and all the snow was gone, so much for the extra weight of a cheap pair of spikes! Day temp was in the low 60's night got to high 40's or low 50's. Slept great in my Sky Bed, after a bit of late night fuss to get the angle right so I was sliding 'into the pocket' as Shug would say. I'm no longer so much a fan of the pad-pocket on the sky bed, preferring now to keep my 20" Big Agnes insulated pad half inflated and just thrown on top, outside of the pocket. Finding it feels more stable. Fully inflated and in the pocket, the sky bed is really comfy for laying on your side, but feels tippy at times when repositioning, which can wake you up from a sound sleep now and then. Jury is still out though and I will experiment further, but I slept great with just the pad. Also had an inexpensive UQ for added warmth and a tarp of course.

Basic setup is here. The head end is facing the camera, and you can see that the ridge line is pretty much level, which is what I had to fix later that night. Once I was poppin' a wheelie, things got a lot more comfortable

IMG-2911.jpg

Map of the area:

IMG-2910.jpg

Dusk to evening was beautiful and serene, just a few other folks scattered about the area, all in tents. I like to think they looked on in envy:

IMG-2913.jpg

I stayed up and read my Kindle a while then turned in. As the night settled in clouds moved with a bit of rain and it got REALLY dark. Could not see my hand in front of my face. I am learning to really love head-lamps when bumbling about at night. Slept well once I re-jiggered a bit of rigging, and (much) later awoke to this fog shrouded atmosphere:

IMG-2914.jpg

It was really cool watching that come to light from my cozy hang! Later did a hike to the AT and Mt Everett, my first time really hiking the AT in any form! I don't fancy a through hike any time soon though, my hat is off to people who do that stuff .

IMG-2918.jpg

It was a relief to hike without my 35+ lb pack I must say. While not yet a subscriber, I am certainly learning the value of packing light! Haven't done this since I was a kid in the 70's but I've got to say that aside from being really gassed by the initial hike to the camp site, I'm glad I brought what I did, pretty much everything was used. As it gets warmer I may drop the bottom quilt and just use the pad, we'll see. In any case, aside from a bit of rain on the hike down the mountain (had my trusty umbrella, love these so much more than rain gear) the hike was great, and lo and behold the sun came out just as I got back.

IMG-2922.jpg

Enjoyed a leisurely lunch of pasta-in-a-pouch, packed up and hiked it all back to the car. Going down felt a lot better than going up and that's for sure! Met some nice folks and had a great time. Will definitely be doing more of this. Already looking at my next hammock and ways to streamline my system. So much great advice from people here and on da 'Tubes helped a ton to get me off to a good start! I also experimented a lot at home, trying things out and sleeping outside a few times to at least get an idea of what I was getting into, highly recommended to anyone else just starting out. Go to a local park and practice, setting up and tearing down! Really pays off.

Cheers,

-Kent
    Last edited by kwood; 04-18-2023 at 12:06.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Great trip report! thanks for sharing pictures. What tarp do you have? I like that design border.

Charlotte

thank you for sharing with pictures. I'm new at this in fact my tarp comes in today and going to try hanging this weekend in the back yard for the first time

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Great trip report! thanks for sharing pictures. What tarp do you have? I like that design border.
    Charlotte
    Hello Charlotte and thanks! The tarp is just a budget model I snagged off Amazon. I love it, although I think it's probably a bit heavy compared to some.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZQLSSFW?th=1

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    Quote Originally Posted by Erk82 View Post
    thank you for sharing with pictures. I'm new at this in fact my tarp comes in today and going to try hanging this weekend in the back yard for the first time
    Awesome! Using a ridgeline was a big breakthrough for me. Something to look into if you haven't already. Hammockgear.com has one pre-made which is plenty strong and won't stretch (I first tried making my own using parachute cord )

The other thing is getting the foot end a bit higher than the head end. It looks like it would be uncomfortable but it's not. Experiment.

Jump in and have fun!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The First Official hammock excursion will always be remembered~
    Glad it went well. Those foggy woods made me think Ichabod Crane would come riding up through them.
    Whooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by kwood View Post
    Hello Charlotte and thanks! The tarp is just a budget model I snagged off Amazon. I love it, although I think it's probably a bit heavy compared to some.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZQLSSFW?th=1
    Good to hear you had a great time on your first solo. That tarp looks good for the price. My brother recently got interested in hanging and looking to try it after modding his Jeep. He saved on the suspension kit from 4Wheelonline so he can gather some more hammock stuff.

• + New Posts