Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Feet High and Rising View Post
    WOW Beautiful scenery. No concern of anyone stealing kit from packs.
    -6 Gas canisters work OK any problems not that it get that cold in UK!
    We weren't concerned about leaving our packs. At that point we were seven mile into the wilderness. You'd have to be a real dirtbag to steal from someones pack - it could be potentially dangerous.

Temps only got as low as 21°F so everyone's gas cannisters worked, though a couple of the guys mentioned that they didn't perform great at that temperature. I used my Whisperlite white gas stove which functioned well in the low temps.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Wow what a trip report! Thank you for being willing to share your missteps here. I think it helps remind all of us of the things we should all think about when out there doing our thing. After each one of my trips (motorcycle/backpacking), I talk about both the good and bad with my family. It helps me review things I could do again, and things I could do better. Those "missed it by that much" moments tend to stay with you.

Glad you made it through!

Images
    WOW! I have not even watched the video yet, I just read every word of the terrifying account! You were blessed to have escaped with out a skull fracture or brain bleed. I don't recall reading an account of a trip going bad to this degree since the HF winter group hang at Mt. Rogers many years ago. This was when one or more started hiking from the parking lot in cold rain, which quickly turned into blowing snow. And they had some swollen creek crossings which added to the problems. All were experienced mountain hikers, but some ended up getting hypothermia. Some(I can't remember how many, 1 or more) never made it to the group hang spot. They either tried to set up camp along the trail, or back near the vehicles. Some ended up having to get in their vehicle to try and get warm. Bottom line- despite great gear- they got wet, and then got hypothermia, and then could not make good decisions, or accomplish basic tasks. Fortunately, they had someone in their group who either managed to stay dry enough, or their layers stood up to the cold moisture, and did not get hypothermia, and thus could still make good decisions. His ability to still think clearly and carry out tasks requiring manual dexterity helped the others get to safety. Otherwise that could have ended tragically, rather than just miserably.

I have personally had other winter outdoor adventures when other folks got stupid from hypothermia, but it was large groups with most people who were not hypo, so they managed to keep the others from doing something stupid until they could get them warmed up. But the above is the only one I recall happening with HF members on a group hang. I guess your problem was not hypothermia, but it was all equally scary due to other things going awry!

When I think back on some of my mountain winter trips that I made by myself(when 40 years younger), though all went well, it sort of terrifies me. I'm glad you are OK and that you still managed to have a fun trip with great guys!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Wow what a trip report! Thank you for being willing to share your missteps here. I think it helps remind all of us of the things we should all think about when out there doing our thing. After each one of my trips (motorcycle/backpacking), I talk about both the good and bad with my family. It helps me review things I could do again, and things I could do better. Those "missed it by that much" moments tend to stay with you.
    Yes my hope is that at least if I'm honest about what happened maybe it'll help someone else out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    WOW! I have not even watched the video yet, I just read every word of the terrifying account! You were blessed to have escaped with out a skull fracture or brain bleed.
    No doubt! We were deep in the Pemi Wilderness so if rescue was needed it would likely have required a long, long evac strategy. Dodged a bullet on this one.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Nothing wrong with being upfront about it... we've all had close calls over the years.

Can't remember how many times I was thisclose! to hyperextending a knee after stepping in a spruce trap or barely catching myself with an ice axe. I once slid headfirst into a giant tree well in the north Cascades and easily could've broken my neck but thankfully ended up with only a shredded ear.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 20/Yeti 40
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Glad you ended up okay.

I've made that mistake once. Luckily, the other guy I was kayaking with was hooked up to the same tree, so when I got in, the tree came down right in between our hammocks (which were at 90 degree angles). Dodged a bullet there and have been MUCH more diligent in checking trees ever since.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nothing wrong with being upfront about it... we've all had close calls over the years.

Can't remember how many times I was thisclose! to hyperextending a knee after stepping in a spruce trap or barely catching myself with an ice axe. I once slid headfirst into a giant tree well in the north Cascades and easily could've broken my neck but thankfully ended up with only a shredded ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontagu13 View Post
    Glad you ended up okay.

I've made that mistake once. Luckily, the other guy I was kayaking with was hooked up to the same tree, so when I got in, the tree came down right in between our hammocks (which were at 90 degree angles). Dodged a bullet there and have been MUCH more diligent in checking trees ever since.
    Thanks, it's always good to know I'm not the only one. If nothing else this trip was a reminder to be much more careful in the future.

If anyone is interested here is another video from that weekend. I arrived in the Whites the day prior and hiked the Hancocks in the afternoon. Probably a bit ambitious considering the cracked rib and all but I'm a glutton for punishment/mountains and I gorge myself everytime I'm up there.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Great trip report, beautiful trip! Glad that tree didn't getcha worse, gotta be careful of those widow makers!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Thank you for the candid report, no shame in oversights. Variable conditions out there now, it's the season for that. Ice, cold, distance, fatigue. Hey, we are men, that's what we do. I had a large tree come down and narrowly miss which my gear was suspended from. It's called not paying attention. Nothing beats being on an adventure, very enjoyable watching yours. You must have some great friends for company. It is extra work to record your trips that would not be obvious to us viewers. Hope to see more!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Thank you for the candid report, no shame in oversights. Variable conditions out there now, it's the season for that. Ice, cold, distance, fatigue. Hey, we are men, that's what we do. I had a large tree come down and narrowly miss which my gear was suspended from. It's called not paying attention. Nothing beats being on an adventure, very enjoyable watching yours. You must have some great friends for company. It is extra work to record your trips that would not be obvious to us viewers. Hope to see more!
    Yep, definitely a wake-up call and made me much more careful on the last few trips since then. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12