Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

How long did it take to get comfortable?

I think I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 or so nights camping in my hammock now. I don't think the hammock has ever been really uncomfortable, or at least not as bad as sleeping on the ground in a tent. But I've seen multiple people talk about preferring hanging in a hammock to sleeping in their beds, which was definitely not my experience. However, the last couple campouts, I think I have finally started to get truly comfortable. I think it helps somewhat that the nights are colder and I have finally dialed in my insulation well. I'm curious how typical my experience is.

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hay Doc

Sunday night first camp in about Six week. Had my new underquilt was hoping for my best nights sleep ever! But not very cold & fold feet too.
    So still trying get the that all great nights sleep.

I took some photos of my hang. Maybe something you can look at see if a difference in hang from good night sleep to bad.
    So you crack it?

I like to think it's trial & error hope not to give up

I'm going back to youtube for tips, maybe I need a new sleeping bag.
    To much chat, not enough hang.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    For me it was after I did a solid two weeks in my hammock. I did this in my bedroom with an adjustable set up. And if I was uncomfortable in the middle of the night I would get up and get in bed. And the next night I would adjust something. Tension or angle. In the end either I found my sweet spot or my body adapted to the hammock within certain parameters.

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    I've not slept through a night on a mattress in over two decades. tossing, turning, etc. hip and joint pain, even in my late 20s. I bought a hammock for breaks at work during concerts/festivals outdoors. I do NOT sleep well without specific temperature requirements, absolute darkness, fan noise, and earplugs. period. My first time hanging my hammock as a test run indoors without any of those things led to me immediately falling asleep for 5 hours with a laptop open on my chest.

I thank this forum for guidance on getting my first outdoor hang right, but every moment I lay back into a decently hung hammock, my eyelids start to droop in minutes. I'm usually never comfortable sleeping on my back, except for in a hammock.

Out camping, I worry about wildlife (I live in both bear and javelina country). I don't sleep AS well, but even during a recent outing with wild pigs, I managed a good 6 hours of sleep supine in my hammock despite their 3am rooting around very near. my partner in her tent didn't sleep anywhere near as well.

all that to say, I'm seriously considering hanging a hammock at home. I sleep the best on my foam-cushion couch, but I know a hammock will be even better. it is heaven on my overused joints.

Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    After a few years of Hanging Friends badgering me, I tried a hammock (actually set up my tent too as I knew I would hate hanging). I slept through the night, the entire night. After three nights in my cheap rig I upgraded and haven't looked back. I have lower back issues and after any hammock nights I feel fine. I too am looking to establish a in home set-up to ease some back pain.

WP1
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

• + New Posts