DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks

Tarp Ridgeline rigging question(s)

I've been using my tarp without a ridgeline up until now, but I decided to upgrade to a Zingit ridgeline with dutch clip and wasp. I see everyone using shock cord loops to suspend the tarp from the ridge line, but I don't understand why. I get why the ridgeline is better over the tarp, but I don't understand why no one passes the ridgeline through the tarp's loops or d-rings. It seems like that would be better to carry the weight of the tarp, and then you could use prussics without shock loops, or with only one shock loop just to tension it. Has anyone tried this? Am I missing something?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I use prusik loops on the ridgeline, right to the tarp (no shock cord). I know some people use a split ring there as basically a fuse (to fail before a tarp tears), and I have plastic figure-8s on one of my tarps for that purpose, to go from the tarp to the prusik. I do have shock cord spliced into my guy lines to give some flex there (and to make up for loosening of wet fabric). Really, there are so many ways to rig a tarp, I’m not even sure what all of them are :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I use toggles on prusics through the end loops or D rings. I've also been known to use mini s-biners on prusics.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by p0key View Post
    I've been using my tarp without a ridgeline up until now, but I decided to upgrade to a Zingit ridgeline with dutch clip and wasp.
    Dutch clip? Don't you mean Dutch hook? A Dutch clip is used in hammock suspension, not tarp ridgeline.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...type-and-color

I personally avoid shock cord anywhere in my hammock/tarp setup. It seems shock cord was just designed to fail at the most inopportune time (and it really sucks in cold weather). There is some shock cord on my Dutch Chameleon hammock pullouts, but I never use it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by p0key View Post
    I've been using my tarp without a ridgeline up until now, but I decided to upgrade to a Zingit ridgeline with dutch clip and wasp. I see everyone using shock cord loops to suspend the tarp from the ridge line, but I don't understand why. I get why the ridgeline is better over the tarp, but I don't understand why no one passes the ridgeline through the tarp's loops or d-rings. It seems like that would be better to carry the weight of the tarp, and then you could use prussics without shock loops, or with only one shock loop just to tension it. Has anyone tried this? Am I missing something?
    Having it adjustable on both ends makes it much easier to center the tarp over the hammock.

With regard to shock cord with silpoly and silnylon (especially) tarps, yes the material does stretch but only so much; if you go back an hour or so after pitching and give the guy lines another tug the tarp will usually remain taut afterwards.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use Zingit 2.2 for tarp ridgeline and for Zingit 2.2 prusiks on each end of tarp. Those prusiks have six wraps—that gives twelve coils. It can slip some, but usually once tightened, holds in wind and rain.
    All my prusiks have pull loop built in to prusiks for easy adjustments.
    Prusiks with only three wraps tied with 2.2 Zingit on 2.2 Zingit ridgeline slip too much. Six wrap prusik (with twelve coils) will bind up and be hard to adjust.
    But, with pull loops built in, six wrap prusik adjusts from side to side, with ease, then holds well, especially if tightened with a tug at 90* angle to ridgeline.

To make a pull loop, built onto a ridgeline.
    Imagine a circle, like a bike tire, balanced on a straight line. The circle is pull loop and ridgeline is straight line. Prusik is then tied around both pull loop and ridgeline where they meet.

It’s a great knot, that you only have to tie, one time
    And never have to untie. Never have to look for, just use it and forget it.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I honestly don't think I've seen shock cord loops being used to suspend the tarp from the ridgeline...? Maybe I missed a whole era of tarp suspension. I do see shock cord on the guylines (used as a short section of the line from tarp corners to stakes), as @Raladd said, and that's what I use -- mainly just in case I trip on one of the lines, but the bit of shock cord also helps take stress off the tarp if it's really windy.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I use a single prusik with mini-carabiners on the ridge line without shock cord. On the guylines I tie a loop of shockcord to a continuous line; that way the guyline is both strong and has some give for my sil-nylon tarps which expand when wet. I learned both from Derek Hanson:
    https://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/...with-hardware/
    https://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/...k-no-hardware/
    https://www.gossamergear.com/blogs/o...ng-guy-lines-2

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    I use nama grips on a crl and hook them directly to the tarp rings. Easy peesy to set up and adjust. Best setup that I have come up with.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don't use any shock cord on my ridgeline. I use NAMA Claws and I connect the split ring at the end of the tarp to the claw with a little double fisherman's knot loop (but for a project I'll make a LashIt loop to replace the cord. Problem was, the split ring, that came with the tarp, would work its way out of the claw "jaw" while the tarp was packed way in its snakeskin. The loop connector has a noose I tighten on the Claw so everything stays put.

I could just use prusiks, but if the diameters don't play well together, it's more fuss than I want to deal with. When my setup was sort of a hybrid between a split line and a continuous line (an oval around the trees with the tarp as one side of the oval - and the line side held to the tarp ridgeline with a mini-biner - I used a cheapie split ring at the tarp end as a "fuse". Like what do I want to "give" first - the tarp or the metal ring?

Now that I use a continuous ridgeline, I don't use the split right fuse because the line takes all the force with the tarp hanging under it. I started with Dutch Hooks but have been experimenting with metal mitten hooks with the wire gate (see a vendor's DIY hardware area). I pull the gate off and have a small metal hook with an eye to connect a line - either weave or Larks head the ridgeline to it. The advantage is the opening on the mitten hook is easier to work with than the smaller Dutch Hook. Because the wrap around the tree friction has so much "hold", it seems the hook has a light duty. It has worked so far but it has NOT been strength tested in severe weather.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast