Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a couple tarps set up with a ridgeline with a Dutch hook and wasp. I use homemade soft shackles made out of zing-it and connected to the ridgeline with a prussic knot. The knots support the tarp. Since the soft shackles are only a couple inches long, passing the ridgeline through the D-rings wouldn't gain much. I didn't bother with using shock cord between the ridgeline and tarp, though I do make it a point to slide one of the prussic knots in a bit when stowing the tarp to ensure that it is not under tension the next time I go to set it up.

Edit: Dutch hook, not clip.
    Last edited by docbrown; 11-23-2022 at 08:44.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    I have a couple tarps set up with a ridgeline with a Dutch clip and wasp.
    As I mentioned to the OP in post #4, I think you're using a Dutch hook, not a Dutch Clip. A dutch clip is used for hammock suspension, not tarp suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As I mentioned to the OP in post #4, I think you're using a Dutch hook, not a Dutch Clip. A dutch clip is used for hammock suspension, not tarp suspension.
    Sorry, yes. You're absolutely right. I have a Dutch hook.

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    i have ‘hanging high hammocks’ ridgeline. thin zing it with dutch hook on one end, dutch fly on the other, and two prussick soft shackles for the tarp rings. i have yet to sit in any high wind or rain, but the two prussicks hold the tarp d rings very well so far in moderate wind.

i do shock cord loops on my guy lines. easiest to adjust against tension.

Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    I honestly don't think I've seen shock cord loops being used to suspend the tarp from the ridgeline...? Maybe I missed a whole era of tarp suspension. I do see shock cord on the guylines (used as a short section of the line from tarp corners to stakes), as @Raladd said, and that's what I use -- mainly just in case I trip on one of the lines, but the bit of shock cord also helps take stress off the tarp if it's really windy.
    The Tato tarp connectors are one example using shock cord...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by p0key View Post
    .... I see everyone using shock cord loops to suspend the tarp from the ridge line.... Am I missing something?
    I think you see now that you misinterpreted what you've read. Many people use shock cord for their guylines, but no one responded that they had shock cord in their tarp suspension lines, for exactly the reasons you proposed as being problematic!

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Back when Dutch sold Reflect It, I spliced some 1/16” shock cord in the same way he does on his Internal Tarp Tensioner video, and then spliced that piece into a continuous loop. Since it’s a little elastic, but still has the strength of a 2mm rope, I put them at every connection point on my tarp, and the diameter is perfect for a line loc hook.
    0E43B9DD-A811-49F3-B93B-47C9D158A4C1.jpeg

Do we think this would work?
    Fixed eye on one end run through itself, Prusik shackle and prusik knot, made from a continuous loop, for tension other end - two Prusik Shackles to connect to tarp. No knot tying in field - no hardware

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Just sort of noticed this thread, I just converted my tarp to shock cord at all attachment points.

The ridgeline is LashIt with a prusik at each end ... I doubled a length of 3/16" shock cord through the tarp D ring attachment and that goes to the prusik, apply a little tension and it stays nice and snug , but has some give if the wind kicks up.

I got some of the new LineLoc Hooks (which are awesome), added a loop of 1/8" shock to each tie out. The LineLoc just clips to the shock cord loop when you attach the guys .... and again, it stays snug but has some give with the wind.

I think having the tarp able to give a bit under load is likely a better method than having it hard tied at all points.

Just my 2 cents worth

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Brian, I highly suggest that you back up your ridgeline shock cord with some LashIt or a similar product. Just determine how far you want your ridgeline shock cord to stretch and add a fixed line of that length. It will keep the shock cord from overstretching and in the case of a break, it will keep your ridgeline attached to the tarp supports. A broken guyline is hassle enough. Wrangling a full tarp that is flailing around in a high wind is not fun.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast