Anyone tried a Wind Rider UL?

Just wondered what this is like. It kind of appeals because there are fewer options to choose from - just select length and colour!

Presumably it packs small, which also appeals (for cycle touring).

How easy/difficult will the included suspension be to use?

Is the lightweight fabric likely to be a nightmare in use?

What about comfort?

What tarp and bugnet would you pair it with?

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Haven’t tried it, but that’s a great deal for a complete setup and lightweight. Probably would pair it with his trail tarp or perhaps the asym to match the light weight, although if you expect rain that one requires pitching it properly to stay dry all over. I’d go with the winter haven since, well once you’ve experienced doors, I just much prefer them rain or shine.

Good luck

Thanks!

It's tempting, but just need to make sure it's what I want. I'm in the UK, and Jared doesn't ship here, so I'm looking into a forwarding service.

I did wonder about a Winter Haven tarp. I currently don't have a tarp, so might go for the winter tarp as an all-rounder (I had originally thought about an asym tarp for packability and weight). There are a lot of options on the Winter Haven order form, though!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    To be frank, with the hassle and extra cost involved in shipping — and the durability issues with Cloud .71 — I would recommend purchasing a Tree Runner in Hexon 1.6 at the same time you buy the Wind Rider. This way you would have a relatively inexpensive back-up ready when the Cloud .71 becomes problematic.

Personally, I'd skip the Cloud .71 altogether and go with the Hexon 1.6 and take a tiny penalty in weight/bulk in exchange for greatly increased durability. The hammock is one of those 'must not fail' items for many obvious reasons.

I use a hex tarp most of the year, even winter unless it's going to be super windy and very cold. However, if you expect a lot of wind and rain on a regular basis then a large tarp with doors might be better.

The Wind Rider suspension is a typical whoopie sling setup. No surprises there.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Netless
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Snivel / Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't have the Wind Runner but I have a cloud fabric hammock. It was too soft for me to sleep well. Also, the warning is very serious. Care is not enough, it really needs extra care and consideration. If I were to get another one, I would inspect it each time before getting in to it, after getting out of it, before packing it, and after unpacking it. I somehow lightly damaged some threads on the side.

*Please be aware that UL materials are not for everyone. They are inherently not as durable or strong as your standard hammock materials. So, extra care and consideration must be taken with site selection and being aware of its limitations and possible situations that could result in damage.
    But it is really fun to use. I enjoy laying down and seeing my surroundings through it. It's also nice to see my underquilt.

Thanks for the cautionary notes. It's probably not the hammock for me at this time - I think Trail Lair would be more suitable for now.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    One option for you might be to look at the Hexon 1.2 or even Hexon 1.0 fabrics.Jared can make a Trail Lair out of either one for a small upcharge. These would be much sturdier than the Cloud 71 but still be lightweight and very packable. Just want to be mindful of the weight limits: 275 lbs for Hexon 1.2 and 200 lbs for Hexon 1.0.

• + New Posts