I have a 40° Warbonnet Wooki and 20° Diamondback that I use with my Blackbird. I sleep hot and have taken that setup down to 40° and been totally comfortable. I decided this fall I really wanted to do some cold weather hammocking and saw recommendations all over for the SLD Trail Winder. I really like how the Wooki is set up for the asymmetrical insulation and the Trail Winder offers a similar concept. The price and modular possibilities made it a no-brainer for me, plus Jared turned it around super fast.

I bought the 6.0 oz base and a 3.6 oz modular layer, which gets me a 20° rated base UQ that theoretically goes down to somewhere around 0° or slightly lower with the extra layer.

I used just the 20° base layer sleeping in the 40s a few times over the past few weeks to try it out, and honestly was colder than with my 40° Wooki. I've been fiddling with the UQ suspension to try to eliminate any gaps and think I have it pretty dialed in now. Last night I added on the modular layer, for a combined 9.6 oz insulation layer, and it got down to 32. I slept ok, but my back wasn't exactly warm, and with that combination of insulation, I'd expect to be able to get down to at least 10 degrees or so without issues, but I don't think it's going to be adequate to even hit 20°.

Does anyone with a Trail Winder get down to their expected temperature ratings? Am I expecting too much of the synthetic insulation? Any tips for a more effective setup?

I have my side shock cord set so it pretty much envelopes the hammock fabric and have tightened up the head and foot suspension shock cord a decent bit so that insulation is hugging my body when I'm in the hammock.