Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

2023 GMHG and a visit with Shirley at Famous Louise's Rock House Restaurant

Friends of mine are house sitting in Blowing Rock with their two year old and 6 month old chilluns. They decided to attend the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and invited me for a day trip. It was their first time; but it was the 5th time for me, the last being almost 20 years ago. The games were not much different, just more people and more clans represented. Many people, including me, were dressed to some extent in the traditional way of a Scotsman. The events were unique! The music was excellent! We had no trouble navigating with a double wide jogging stroller, in spite of the crowds.

When my kids attended, years ago, they said the games have to be the safest place on earth, because everyone is so well armed with dirks and swords! It's still that way. Even the NCSU pipe and drum band (presumably government employees) had sgian-dubhs in their socks.

One thing that was different was the single malt tasting station. For $35 you could have all you could drink. They were serving several varieties of Ardbeg and Glenfiddich in little one ounce plastic cups, two at a time, so you could compare one to another. My friend generously paid for mine. We started at about 1:30, and took the last bus off the mountain at 5pm, so it was excellent timing! We were back to normal when we cranked up the automobiles at 6pm.

Instead of heading east for Trouble Ranch, I went to Linville Falls and ordered a coffee to go and a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie at Famous Louise's Rock House Restaurant. I asked if Shirley was there, and the waitress told me she's in the kitchen, go on in. Shirley recalled the last time I stopped by after the Games, and asked if I wore my kilt. She laughed when I told here I changed before coming to the restaurant because I didn't want her to embarrass me in front of everyone. The last time I wore me kilt into the restaurant, Shirley was being snarky, and I was being snarky back... an' she said in a loud voice, "Just remember, I'm the one wearing the pants here!"

I took the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to 421, so it was a wonderful drive home. I made a good cigar last the whole trip, but for the last 25 minutes.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mac is Back~~~~
    I need a Gorge fix myself. Did get to go last year for a short trip. Always like going home.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Mac is Back~~~~
    I need a Gorge fix myself. Did get to go last year for a short trip. Always like going home.
    Shug
    Let me know when you come this way next. Would be great to do an overnight somewhere special with you and Hickery.

Might not be able to get Klipspringer (formerly known as Thing1) to go with us. She's married and working, lives in Raleigh.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Did Thing1 continue carving after your Minesota winter camp?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    She never did... was satisfied that she knows how!

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Nice to see you posting again Mac. Welcome back.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Tried to eat at Louise's this week, but it was closed. Lady at the gas station north of Pineola said, "she is having trouble finding help, like everyone else."

With the restaurant closed with no cars parked out front, I noticed the For Sale sign in the window at Louise's.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That is sad news about Loiuse's. I've never been there, but those post-trip iconic eateries become 'part of the family' if you will.

****'s Drive-In is one of those places in Kamas, UT. Located just outside the mouth of the canyon for the Western terminus of the Uinta Mountain's Highline Trail, ****'s was a must-stop after trips in the Uintah Mountains. It's been through at least a couple of owners over the decades, but a couple of months ago I saw it was up for sale. A few weeks ago I drove by, and it is being remodeled into a Swig shop, which is a shop where they mix up different sodas. Call it the Utah equivalent of a coffee shop, since the local religion frowns on coffee. It's sad that ****'s closed, even sadder that it's turning into something somewhat despised.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    ^^^^^^ My post was edited to remove the name of the drive-in. That's interesting.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    ^^^^^^ My post was edited to remove the name of the drive-in. That's interesting.
    Must have been Richard's Drive Inn. The nickname for Richard often gets these ****
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast