WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett / Whoopies

Tato Gear Hammock Stand kit - adjustments for BBXLC

I got the second last Tato stand kit from Dutch before they vanished and built a stand with telescoping conduit legs and a 3 part 13' ridge pole. A major design goal was to ensure the stand could be taken down, bundled up, and hauled in a 5.5" truck bed. Happy to include pics if there's interest - given that Tato Gear seems to have vanished in favor of their machine shop business, I wasn't sure how useful they'd be.

The stand generally works well, although there have been some learning opportunities and adjustments over time. During a week long Scout camp, my tarp caught some wind gusts broadside which took everything out and lost a few of my shepherd hooks when they were pulled out. So, I spliced some continuous loops, added a new hole at the base of each leg, and upgraded to bigger, orange stakes - better hold and no chance they'll disappear in grass.

My only remaining issue is cold feet. I have the foot end of the XLC as close to the ridge pole as I can get it, but with the 13" length, trying to lower the head end just results in a slack, sloppy ridgeline until I get into the hammock. I think this ends up sliding me too far toward the foot end (I'm 6'3") and my feet seem to go past the Wooki. At summer camp, that's not a big deal, but getting into fall and winter in the Colorado mountains, it's a bit less fun.

I figure I have a couple options to consider at this point. I can either get another piece of top rail and cut a longer middle section for my ridge pole. Adding another foot or two may help with keeping the hammock configured correctly vs. sagging. Or, I can drill extra holes in the tripod legs so I have the option to set the head end a bit lower than the foot. Ideally, I think I'd want the ridge pole parallel to the ground, but given the the tripods are staked in firmly and the hammock is keeping the ridge pole in compression so it can't come apart, I don't think a small angle will be a big deal.

Anyone put an XLC in a stand, and if so, how long is your ridge pole? Hoping to find some input on how long I should start with on this experiment.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've paired a Tato stand (13' ridgepole) with a WBBB XLC for several years now. You're right - it's a delicate task to get the foot end high enough and the head end low enough, yet still get some tension in the ridge line when in the hammock, but I've had many great nights of sleeping in hotels or family rooms without going to (ground) bed. My sweet spot is about 6" away from the Tato biner at the foot end and then adjust the head end until I'm satisfied. I have the tripod legs set at the second-to-last hole from fully extended cuz I'm 5'8".
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can add some adjustment to the ridgeline with a small diner. May help.
    Usually need to be closer to the head end with your torso than you may think per Warbonnets set-up instructions......https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf
    Good hanging to ya'.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts