WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

Sock Length Conundrum

So I got myself a nice vented winter sock, but it was made to 11 foot length instead of 10 as ordered. No problem, the maker made and sent me a 10 footer before even receiving the too-long one back in the mail. Great customer service. Though only briefly setting my Blackbird 10 foot hammock with the 11 foot sock was enough to make me think "not only is 11 feet clearly too long, but it could probably be shorter than 10 feet," an observation that was reinforced when I set up the replacement 10 foot sock. I measured it out and the 10 footer is more than ample--perhaps as much as two feet more than needed. Lots of flop and overlap** when set so that the vent is over one's head.

This would appear to make sense, as a 10 foot hammock when set has a ridgeline of some 8 feet and a few inches. I don't think I'm practicing some kind of weird hammock hanging system.

So the question is: why is a sock for a ten foot hammock ten feet long? Why isn't it closer to 8 feet? Would a shorter one work just as well?

I've got an old un-vented sock that's closer to 8 feet than 10 feet in length...

Contemplating selling* the "as-new, set up once" ten footer and special ordering a sock about 8 feet in length.

Posted this because I'm genuinely curious: have I missed some essential truth of socks? Would a shorter one work? Through some ten minutes of measuring, observing, sitting in a hammock with the sock on, it sure seems like it could be shorter and work just as well.

Also true: the apparently longer-than-needed sock would work just fine, of course--overlap doesn't prevent it from doing its job...

Any thoughts?

*I won't ask to return it, as they made me what I asked--a 10 foot sock--and the thing is drop-dead gorgeous and light at 7.4 oz with mesh stuff sack. Note this is NOT an offer to sell the item: do not offer to buy it as a result of this post.

**Along the long dimension: girth-wise, seems just right.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe making some room for UQ. Just my guess.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think the sock vendors don't want to carry an inventory of different-length socks as well as different colors. It's sort of one length fits all. Note that the WB BB sock is shorter than others. Back in the day, ZQ2Q had an added-on that velcro'd to each end of the WB BB sock, giving it an additional 6 - 8 inches per end.

Aso, with the cinching of the sock ends beyond the length of the hung hammock, you are tightening down on just the suspension line with no interference from the knob at the end of a GE.

With an unvented snug sock, you will probably be confronted with condensation issues.

But back to your question - the BlackBird is 10 ft long but what about the XLC? And most other hammocks are longer than the BB. So again, WB is not going to stock different-length socks in different colors when the size isn't that critical and a little extra interior space helps minimize condensation issues.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-13-2022 at 13:59.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe making some room for UQ. Just my guess.
    Shug
    ...but the additional length doesn't impact the girth of the sock. The ten footer I have could be two feet shorter, same girth...no? I'm trying to figger this out...
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have the 10ft and 11 ft Warbonnet socks and I prefer the 11 ft one
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Are these WB socks actually those lengths? I'm using a sock by another manufacturer and it appears to be significantly longer than it needs to be. I am about to try it out in windy cold winter weather--I'm sure the extra fabric won't hurt, but having yet to try it out For Realz still struggling to see how the extra length will help.
    //

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    I know everyone has (not) been holding their breath for an update on this Terribly Important Sock Length Conundrum. And the answer to the riddle is...

Yes, a 10 foot long sock is more than a foot longer than it needs to be. The Sock Expert from Lancaster agrees, but suggests that when trying to achieve the minimal length one take into account the shortening effect of "cinching" a sock closed. So while a 10 foot sock is the better part of 2 feet too long for a 10 foot gathered end hammock, consider a 9 foot sock about right (if one is in a customizing mood). Also worth noting: a sock longer than it need be works just fine.

Yet another Experiment to Nowhere in Hammockland, as having tried a sock, I found they're not for me. But they work!

Note: all this chatter pertains to the sort of sock one gets from Dutchware Gear, not to the sort made by Warbonnet Outdoors. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    //

• + New Posts