DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

NJ > Batona Camp > 11th Annual Thanksgiving ... Trek? > Nov 25 - Nov 27

It’s once again time for the NJ Thanksgiving Hang!

Planning to head out into the NJ Pine Barrens as usual this Thanksgiving weekend. We’ll be at Batona Camp Friday through Sunday. Folks are welcome to join us around the fire – we’ll be at site 4, feel free to come say hello.

This year we’ll be car camping since recent shoulder surgery means no carrying a backpack for me just yet. Like last year, no signup sheet, no planned group meals, minimal “organizing” or anything like that. Consider it less of a traditional group hang, and more an invitation to drop by. We’ll have wood and a warm fire, all the other details are up to you. If you plan on camping out, grab a site. There are a few sites already reserved for a change (sites 1, 2, 5, and 9 are not us), so there will be other non-hammock folk in camp.

When: Thanksgiving weekend, Friday November 25th – Sunday November 27th #optoutside

Where: Batona Campground

Sites: Reserve your own site(s) as needed. We’ll be at site 4 and can use the fire ring there to hang out. Sites are reserved online at: https://www.njportal.com/DEP/NJOutdoors

Food: We’ll grab some firewood, and there’s a water pump on site, but meals will be BYO.

Cost: Whatever your site fees are. If you feel so moved to pitch in a few bucks for firewood (or to bring some to add to the pile), we won’t say no.

A Note About Temps: In past years, we’ve seen the temp drop down into the teens, and we’ve occasionally had some folks underprepared, though we do our best to prevent that. We’ll know better once it’s closer but plan ahead, and don’t be caught off guard. Since it's car camping you can always bring extra gear just in case.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I got site 11.

Remember vagabound? Didn't bring a topquilt because he thought he'd be fine with just a 0* underquilt. Unfortunately, temps were 17-18 * F and he almost froze to death!

It was a scathing indictment of the Carhartt jacket, which was all vagabound had for top insulation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    I got site 3.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by biker Joe View Post
    I got site 3.
    Oh, cool. I was beginning to think we were going to be surrounded - most of the sites in camp are full, and I only know of a few that were booked by HF folk.

That means we have 3 and 4 next to each other, and 11 and 12 directly across the camp as well. So even if we don't have other sites, anyone that shows up looking to hang should be able to fill in the area in camp between those sites where there are no official sites marked or whatever.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was hoping for much colder weather, but forecasts peg us with highs of 53 to 55* F, and lows of 36 & 43* F. And of course, showers predicted for Friday and Saturday. I will bring my trusty (as in, leaky) Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp. It is as waterproof today as it was when I bought it ten years ago. The perfect tarp to pitch over a fire!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have site 8
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts