Question Internal pole mod angle

As the thread title suggests I'm wondering what sort of angle to aim for when sewing in attachment points for an internal pole mode.

I'm going for a dual pole mod on a version of Kitsapcowbow's Badlander tarp so I've got each of the four corners as the bottom end points of the poles and I plan to sew in a couple of tie-in loops into the ridgeline. His pattern has a ridgeline 133" long with the corners 31" in from the ends (there's a diagram he posted on the Badlander thread) so if the poles were to sit at right-angles to the ridgeline I'd fix the loops there but that position isn't stable so I'm thinking of moving them towards the centre of the tarp but by how much?

I'm not constrained by any length of the poles so can go with any realistic value. One "solution" might be to have the loops at the 1/3rd and 2/3rd points, i.e at 44" & 88" which would mean that the poles angle towards the centre of the ridgeline by about 13 degrees and adds about 4" to the pole length (if my Pythagoras is correct!). Too much or about right?
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    On my interior pole mod set up I went w/ a second "ridgeline". Just a line that I tied from the ridgeline tie-out point on the tarp to the one on the other end. Just a simple line that is a little looser than the tarp so that it doesn't affect the tarp tension. I then put two prussic loops on that line, one for each pole hoop.
    That way I can move them around and get the pole hoop right where I want it, leaning in towards the center, leaning out towards the ends, etc.
    It's adjustable, easy, and non- permanent.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    When I first built the KSC Batwing (similar to Badlander), I had the same question. I suggest you read that thread (link below), it has a some discussion on how to do the pole "lean in", I don't believe you need any loops sewn in (just another leak point IMO).

Measure corner to corner and add 8" - 12" for the "lean in" and you should be good ... this is where it comes up in that build thread : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...son-Tarp/page7

Once the pole is leaned in, a simple line to the D ring at the edge holds it fine (also covered in this build), KSC did several tarp designs, all incorporating similar designs/features.

Hopefully this answered your question.

Brian

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I do the same as Lowtech and run an interior ridgeline in zingit from end to end with a couple of the small plastic toggles for attachment points for the interior poles. The ridgeline is adjustable and I set and run it just a hair short so that I can tension the setup really tight yet the tarp floats on the dyneema structure remaining relatively loosely stretched and can flex a bit. Bomber tight setup without any excess strain on the tarp.

I attach the poles to the toggles with a short (approx 1 foot) bit of shock cord with a loop on one end and a small overhand stopper knot on the other that is then permanently larks headed right on to the poles near the center of the pole. This makes for easy deployment where you just attach the pole ends to the tarp corners bending the poles inward and OVER your hammock ridgeline, swing the center of the pole up until it is in place and wrap the tail end of the shockcord around the toggle and click in place as the ridgeline is tight enough for the toggles to hold. Fast, simple, intuitive, and flexible yet totally secure.

I just had a pair of tent poles that are about 6" +/- (iirc) longer than the tarp is wide and I think they end up being about 15 degrees off vertical more-or-less although the actual configuration isn't super critical. Start long and cut your poles down to size.
    Last edited by gooless; 11-10-2022 at 14:20.

Ta guys. I'd forgotten about the internal extra ridgeline option.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

• + New Posts