Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In the netting on side of backpack that is generally for waterbottles.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Twistytee, I have had a black bear just outside my tent, so I know exactly your feeling. I guess I will just continue to stuff it in the organizer pocket. I truly do want it easy to get to. I live by, and hike in grizzly country and I just wondered what others did. The bears I have had in camp were not threatening at all, mostly eating bugs or grubs or grasses or whatever, but I still wanted the bear spray in hand. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    In the holster that is attached to the waist belt. Backpack is typically under my hammock or hanging on a nearby tree. Food, dog chow, and bear attractants, e.g. toiletries or scented items are hung away from camp even when using an Ursasacd S29. The border collies act as my early warning system too.

Prime opportunity for a bear spray story. I use to hike a 'spring training' route prior to starting the field season. The end of the route involved a hard push up a mountain and I'd try to run the last bit up to the bench. One day I topped out on the bench huffing and puffing. As I crested the bench two lions went right and two lions went left about 50 feet in front of me. I told mentally told myself "Alright, this is a test on how fast you are can deploy the pepper spray that was inside a fanny pack. I spun the fanny pack around, reached in, and grabbed the pepper spray. But what I grabbed instead of the pepper spray was my water bottle ;-) . I simply had to laugh out loud at my ineptitude.

Turned out the lions were on a deer kill on the bench. I suspect folks doubted my adventure by the skeptical looks until about a week later the Fish and Game ran an article in the Bozeman Chronicle about a lioness and her three kits that were frequenting the area. On later reflection I'm glad it was lions and not a griz or even a black bear on that kill.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD
    Insulation
    mixed variety
    Suspension
    Jeep, 4 inch Lift
    I only have Black Bears and I'm not concerned with them, so I've never carried bear spray.
    But my first thought is if your hammock has a bug net and you tried using bear spray while inside it, I think you're just going to end up fighting off bear while blind and tangled in a hammock. And........maybe I'm just overly pessimistic............

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    But as long as I don't look/act/taste like a deer, I'll probably not become ... hum, what is the word, what is the word ...
    Kitty-treat?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Great story about the lions. It seems that whatever you did, you survived.

I have enough experience with animals being in the area, that even thinking foggily, I’d know I have to open the space before spraying the bear spray. :-) I just wanted to know what others did so they knew exactly where their bear spray was. It appears I’m more paranoid about bears than most others. It’s ok. I can handle the stigma. :-)

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    The saddlebags on the warbonnet hammocks is great for holding for quick and easy access.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain wanderer View Post
    Honestly, I usually have mine on top of my gear, right below my hammock. There is also a dog under my hammock. His job is to give me enough time to get my hammock unzipped and grab the spray.
    Oregon's has a few bears, I have observed them on recentprevent history.

As with any self defense, frequent PRACTICE is necessary. I do have bear spray next to me in my RR. I also have a Taser due to recent people issues here in Western Oregon.

Dogs and bears are related, a lot of dogs bait bears! Back on the 60's dogs were used to hunt bears. My rambling point is dogs will frequently go after a bear. The kicker is the fact that when a bear turns around and faces the K9, doggie runs home to their human with the bear in pursuit...I have had that experience more than once. My dogs are well trained Medical Alert Dog. Good old bear chase just to much temptation to pass up.

Most of us do not wake fast and take appropriate action, we only think we awake sharp and ready.

I believe in being reasonably prepared. I am way more worried about humans than critters.

My Bouvier sleeps under me, he is my furnace in the cold times. He is also a reminder to Rick Raccoon and Gang to stay away.
    Last edited by ironfish77; 11-12-2022 at 15:11.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    .... a lot of dogs bait bears! ....
    It makes a huge difference on the breed of dog. I've watched a number of hunting breeds that had a knack for finding trouble in the back country. Contrary wise, most of the folks who make a living in the back country of the intermountain west favor stock dogs that have a knack for knowing how to work with other animals, including bears, as well as the pack stock. The other good thing is they tend to be smart enough to quickly understand what is part of their "job" and what isn't acceptable. Of course, there are Kareilians who are bred to work bears, but they can also be difficult to retrieve when they get on the job. Not a good thing in wolf country.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Speaking of the plastic clip that the bear spray can comes with............
    A friend grabbed the can which held the can on his belt in response to a unaware bear approaching from behind.
    The plastic top of the container broke apart, and released the contents on his face, not the bears face.
    Just say'in.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast