Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Speaking of the plastic clip that the bear spray can comes with............
    A friend grabbed the can which held the can on his belt in response to a unaware bear approaching from behind.
    The plastic top of the container broke apart, and released the contents on his face, not the bears face.
    Just say'in.
    I wish there were alternative bear spray designs. My daughter handed me the securing clip on mine during a water break on a hike. She's about eye level with the canister, so that would've been fun if it had accidentally been released.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    That's why I camp in places where I'm at the top of the food chain ... except for cougars. But as long as I don't look/act/taste like a deer, I'll probably not become ... hum, what is the word, what is the word ...
    Cub? Cougar bait?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pop_Eye, "cougarmeat" of course.

All these, "I keep the spray in an organizer/saddle bag cause me to wonder if they are using their bug net. I can't imagine spraying something while inside the closes bug net and unzipping it - especially under duress - doesn't seem like a very fast operation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Speaking of the plastic clip that the bear spray can comes with............
    A friend grabbed the can which held the can on his belt in response to a unaware bear approaching from behind.
    The plastic top of the container broke apart, and released the contents on his face, not the bears face.
    Just say'in.
    Actually the bear spray becomes kind of like catnip after spraying. There are reports of bears in Alaska rolling around in spots on the ground where the pepper has been sprayed. I also heard of people thinking 'bear repellent' and actually spraying their gear in the hopes of keeping bears at bay. I do know of a friend who was working the Gros Ventre Wilderness southward of where I was. One of his pack horses bit the can of pepper spray that he had in his saddle bags. The horse got a face full of pepper spray and hit the ground. It took a bit for the horse to recover from the error of his ways.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I just ordered a ridgeline water bottle holder from Dutch, and I think that will work well. I really just wanted a place to put the canister so I could find it automatically and quickly. I think it will work. In the backcountry, I do have fear of (some) other humans, but honestly, bison are what I'm most afraid of. But, bear spray is a tool I can carry and use just in case a bear does decide to be aggressive. I have held my bear spray in the presence of a bear, at my camp, twice. The bears simply ambled away. I was yelling "Hey bear!" and apparently I have a voice that sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard... though it took a few minutes each time. I hike in Yellowstone, so even if I had a dog, I wouldn't be able to take him/her. My hope is that I will never have to use it, but I hope this will make it so I can find it very quickly. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123