Comfortable two-person hammock?

My wife got my first hammock at a garden show and she picked out a 2-person model because she thought it would be fun for us to be able to lay in it together. It wasn't. I hung it up in the backyard and we both sat in it, which was okay, pressed shoulder to shoulder. But when we tried laying down, it was about as comfortable and romantic as the back seat on a road-trip.

Just wondering if anyone has found a hammock that is comfortable for two people. We actually nap in the backyard on occasion, but in separate [2-person] hammocks. This works, but I love my wife it would be awesome to nap together. Even though she snores. And so do I.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you have an ENO, or similar. They don't really make a two-person hammock - it's just marketing.

The only two-person hammocks that I know of are made by Clark (now owned by Dutchware).

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/clark-vx-ultra/

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/clark-vertex-ultra/

These hammocks cost a fortune ($400+), and need three trees for setup, which can be a pain in the butt. I've tried them out at a couple of group hangs, and frankly, was not impressed. Also, if you don't like them, you'll probably find they are hard to resell.

But they are on sale now until 13 November, so grab one now if you want to give it a try.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You may find that it is NOT comfortable with two in a hammock. All those double or "two-person" hammocks are just a bit larger than regular ones; larger for ONE person. The only actual two-person hammock is the Clark Vertex which has two separate bays sewn together, one for each person - so there is a separation.

There are phrases for other devices that mirror the same marketing ploy. Ever hear of a "divorce boat"? Or, "This boat sleeps four friends or six enemies."

If you want to be next to someone, and still appreciate them in the morning, you can run two hammocks off the same tree, bringing one off the left side of the tree and the other off the right side. Some people like to use a spreader bar that connects both hammocks at one or both ends. That might be handy if your trees have a small diameter. But the spreader bar connection means when one person moves, the other person can feel it.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-10-2022 at 13:14.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I did figure out that the happy couples in the pictures were smiling because they were paid to do so. At least the couple in the Clarks page only look merely content with one another and thus more believable. Even so, $400 might make my wife less than content.

In the backyard, I set up the two hammocks between three trees, with the common one a sturdy oak so we can move independently if needed. It works well enough, but I'll keep looking for a solution, I guess.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have one of the original Clark Vertex (before Dutch took them over) and would be willing to sell for about half what they cost now.
    I have two many things cluttering up my tiny space.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    Images
    While my girl is hinting at trying to hang, sleeping "two up" in a hammock sounds interesting but not appealing to me. I did see a few set-ups at the Yates Hang last weekend that I'll try.
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon WB RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Here is Syntax77's video on another way to hang two side by side, I have this system and it doesn't solve all the problems, for instance if someone gets out without notice, etc. But is fun!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Agreed. The spreader bar setup is fun. We slept fine with it. Didn’t find ourselves awake more than usual.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    W/ our short desert trees we hang too close to the ground for a spreader bar to work. And I never really liked the carnival ride effect when someone got in or out of their hammock.
    At least the Vertex didn't do that, it just moved around enough to let me know what was happening. I also liked that we could go to ground in it if needed.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts