Hammock
    Huge Brazilian cotton, DD camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Multicam
    Suspension
    Polyester/dyneema

Advice for first DIY gathered end hammock

Hi all

My first post here though I have been scanning the site for a while now.

I have been a big fan of hanging between trees since experiencing huge cotton hammocks in Brazil about 15 years ago and then bringing back a very nice example which I have spent many happy hours in since then. This year I realised that you can buy very light packable ones for going into the woods with, so I bought the basic DD camping hammock and built my own suspension for it (polyester straps, 3mm dyneema continuous loops/soft shackles/dogbone extensions) and have been exploring hanging opportunities in my local area ever since.

I am happy with this setup and it works well using simple Beckett hitches, though I now want to explore something which is more spacious for overnight stays (I'm 6') whilst still being packable. I have had some success with mini spreader bars on the DD after following the mega thread here on that topic and they certainly do seem to extend that diagonal sweet spot. However, having realised how simple it should be to make a gathered end hammock I am now planning to make something myself - probably 11' long.

We don't have as much choice of ripstop materials here as in the US but I can find breathable polyester or nylon at ~55 grammes per square metre (or ~2oz per square yard in old money). I think this will be a good starting point. I want to make a 2 layer hammock so that I can put insulation in between the layers when necessary.

I am a novice sewing machine user but found a 1970s Singer 513 in good condition at a local charity shop and have serviced it & got it working smoothly and now have a basic understanding of the most important settings/functions.

So, a few questions to those who are already experienced in these matters:

1. Any recommendations on sewing needles and thread (size/strength/brand) for these ripstop materials? I have heard thick Gutermann thread recommended in several places. How about length/type of stitch or other sewing tips? The Singer does do various Zig-zag and edge stitches as well as straight if these are useful. There is also a setting for the fabric feed pressure at the sewing foot which I think may make a difference for thin and slippery fabrics though I'm not sure whether up or down is a good idea.
    2. I guess the options for closing the 2 layers are either velcro, buttons or a zip. Any others that are easy to find/use/make? I'm assuming that self-adhesive velcro won't last long so sewing it would make the most sense.
    3. Anyone in the UK that can recommend particular materials and where to find them would be appreciated. I have tracked down a few promising options already but personal recommendations are always good.
    4. I have looked at various seams, and flat-felled or French seem to be most recommended. I think this would only be required along one long side with the other long side closed as in (2). The ends I am guessing are just folded over to leave a channel wide enough for the suspension and then sewed very securely to avoid nasty surprises!
    5. Any other written or video sources that guide a beginner about sewing settings or tips would be much appreciated.

TIA

Michael

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hopper333 - Welcome to the forum.

There are probably a few YouTube videos out there that cover the material you are asking about. Also, I can imagine cutting large pieces of fabric can be a challenge. I think there are some kits out there with the fabric already sized. Check out https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/p...egory-hammocks
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    A poster by the name of Jellyfish had a lot of good sewing tips, in particular needle and thread recommendations -- if you search for their posts you'll find a lot.

Otherwise, I found I had to learn some by trial and error. Buy extra of whatever fabric you decide on so that you can practice sewing on it without running out or ruining a project.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    +1 on the Jellyfish posts, and I think she has a YouTube channel too. Her posts and videos helped me A LOT when sewing some of my first projects.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! Here are a few of the links I've been (ahem) gathering, before jumping into a diy gathered end hammock. Look forward to hearing about your progress!

- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l-Video-Series
    - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-End-Hammock
    - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ock-A-Tutorial
    - Jellyfish's YT video playlist
    - Nature Calls Outdoors' YT video playlist

Oh, and re:Gutermann thread, this thread seems to have the best details:
    - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-clarification

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Excellent puns.

I forgot about Jellyfish's YouTube channel -- off to check it out!

Hammock
    Huge Brazilian cotton, DD camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Multicam
    Suspension
    Polyester/dyneema
    Thanks for the links and ideas guys. Have some research to do....

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That Gutterman thread thread is excellent. Should be a sticky if it isn't already.

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    ripstop i think has thread recs, and dutchware sells tera and mara threads with a little blurb on the thread choices. excited to see your progress. I splurged on insulation and a trekking tree so i’m out to make my own hammock this winter. considering a single layer symmetrical 12’, or maybe a double based off the Nova pattern.

OP, do you have a pattern of choice?

UK based here. I used this material https://www.extremtextil.de/en/ripst...pregnated.html for a single layer gathered end hammock but it might be a bit heavy for a double layer version, mine came out at about 400g for a 3.3m long hammock. Just did a simple double rolled hem fixed with a straight stitch on both sides then made a 25mm wide channel at each end - basically a really wide double rolled hem. Due to brexit the main problem now with ordering from extremtextil is there's a minimum order of £136 to get round VAT rules.

For thread I use Gutermann polyester thread. With the above weight of material I stuck with tension in the middle of the dial and 3mm stitch length.

The only time you really need to do anything other than a straight stitch is to use a zig-zag stitch on stretch fabrics or when sealing an open edge say on the internal seam of a stuff sack.

I thought Henge Hammocks had started to stock some material but there's nothing now on their website. Other than that it's extremtextil or Ripstopbytheroll and deal with import duty etc. Not the best answer I know.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

• + New Posts