SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I'm wondering if the Hexon 1.0 is the issue...you say its too stretchy. Maybe you need a heavier weight fabric with a heavier weight rating to reduce material stretch.
    Yep, this. I have a number of Simply Light Designs Trail
    Lair hammocks. They are all different fabrics. I’ve learned that I find the double layer heavier weight fabrics MUCH more comfortable. Try it with a pad as a test as suggested by others here.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, a double layer hammock or a heavier fabric in a single layer may make a difference.
    Fitting a hammock is like finding a shoe or hiking boot that feels right. We lay in a tent but we sort of wear a hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    If you're using the chameleon netless you could try an adjustable ridgeline. That would let you play w/ the sag amount w/o having to spend a lot of coin.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    I’ve been thinking about getting an adjustable ridgeline to fiddle with for this reason. Wouldn’t removing the bugnet add yet another variable though? I feel that the bugnet/zipper is contributing to the overall experience.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    Have you played with hanging the foot end higher than the head end, or vice versa? A foot and a half would not be too much. I like my feet higher because if not, I tend to slide toward my feet otherwise and I get more of a calf ridge. But if you want your head not to be propped up, then maybe the opposite for you?

Also, you can definitely play with the length of the ridge line. A couple inches can make a big difference.
    I’ve fiddled a lot with raising the foot end higher to various degrees, but I haven’t tried raising the head end yet. Always seemed a bit taboo, but it’s certainly something I’ll have to try. Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’m comfortable in 1.6 Hexon wide hammock 12x6
    YMMV Your mileage may vary
    Possibly reduce width from 72 inches to 66 inches
    A fixed hammock ridgeline of 83% of 12 feet
    About a ten foot fixed hammock ridgeline

Sometimes a sweatshirt or small pillow can be placed behind knees, to combat knee hyperextension.

Good luck reaching hammock nirvana
    I haven’t tried using any pillows for my knees/legs yet, as I don’t experience any pain there, but that could maybe help push me to some more comfortable positions.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    I know you were concerned about shoulder squeeze but since I went to a RR bridge I never looked back. I have no shoulder squeeze and can sleep in any position better than a gathered end.
    I really want to try a bridge hammock eventually, and I’m sure I’ll own a couple at some point. I think for now I’m forcing myself to work out my gathered-end hammock issues, as I really like the simplicity in design, and all the challenges and fiddling so far has got me too far invested now. 🤣

It’ll make my appreciation for bridge hammocks even greater when I finally get there. Lol

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    At 5'11'', 180 lbs, I can sleep comfortably in my (original) Blackbird with or without a pillow - it doesn't prop my head up too high. I get just a bit of shoulder squeeze sometimes, but usually just have to slide or tilt to one side to alleviate it. Might be worth a try at a hang somewhere.
    All the Warbonnet stuff is definitely on my list to try. I’ve got my eye on the 2023 SoCal hang - In the meantime I’ve still got 6 months to learn from all of you virtually.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I'm wondering if the Hexon 1.0 is the issue...you say its too stretchy. Maybe you need a heavier weight fabric with a heavier weight rating to reduce material stretch.
    Could very well be. I went for the 1.0 on my first hammock just based off of it being the most flexible and trying to get that floating/pressure-less hammock experience so many people talk about. I’m looking at some heavier weight options now.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    The bugnet and the ridge line should be separate systems.

This is related to the adjustable ridge line,

I am not sure why this would not be more variables than you want to deal with. At least more variables than I want to deal with. I am happy to keep the ridge line at the manufacturers length until a I know something that makes me believe that is not correct. Though it is easy to shorten with ‘loops’ if one really feels the need.

The ridge line also keeps the bugnet out of your face.

But in theory it is there to improve your lay.
    Last edited by Sean McC; 11-08-2022 at 00:56.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    If I am on my back, I use no pillow. The fabric provides enough to keep my head from rolling about. On my side (which is most of the time), I use a half inflated pillow. I find I want very little head support other than the hammock itself.
    Fabric stretch can matter. I think my XLC is a little to stretchy and looking at getting a lightweight double layer to test. I got a chameleon recently for my kid and I got it with hexon 1.2 so I could use it as well (I’m about 220). And I find the lack of stretch might be more comfortable. Though what is more comfortable when one first lays their head down vs. what is more comfortable at 2AM I have found to be different.

I frequently suggest doing what I did. And I can't find the thread anymore. But I saw someone once suggest doing a 2wk dedicated indoor lay in your bedroom. I made a setup for this using some scrap wood and eyebolts. Though Dutch sells a really sweet setup for not that much money($40). https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/

Basically you set it up in your bedroom and if at 2AM you are uncomfortable you just get up and get in bed. And the next night you tweak something. Be it tension or angle. I found it very useful for me to understand what works for me.

side note - I asked WB about sending my hammock back to be made into a double layer and they suggested buying a traveler model with a custom upgrade to have it fir the XLC system. Which was pretty reasonable. I will do this after the holidays. My spending on myself takes a bit of a break this time of year…

More edits - The ridge line should be somewhat tight. If it has any sag, it is not doing anything
    I, too, can often get away with no pillow. Sometimes my little hammock gear down pillow can really prevent a sore neck though and help make things feel a bit more flat.

I really like that idea of testing things out long-term indoors. I’ve been researching stands (I rent and can’t drill mounts into the walls) and am leaning towards the DIY 1” steel pipe stand that many have made. Didn’t know Dutch had those mounts - Would totally get them if I could use them.

How would the traveler clip onto the XLC? Would they add tie down points or do you just clip both continuous loops into the same suspension somehow?

I definitely never have any sag in my suspension 🤣 if anything I’m a bit concerned at times how tight it is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast