Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    msk,

Just a thought. If you think the hammock fabric is too stretchy/not firm enough, try the lay with a cheap, closed cell foam pad. They add a lot of firmness. It may give you an idea if that is what you are searching for. Also as mentioned, play with the ridgeline length. Make it longer or shorter..Im thinking in your case you may want it longer.

Dont give up. Its way worth it to figure it out.

Bob
    First I’ve heard of the foam pad trick to add stiffness. I think I would find it difficult to separate the sensation of the new texture and the increased firmness, but I’ll give this one a shot as well. Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Yep, this. I have a number of Simply Light Designs Trail
    Lair hammocks. They are all different fabrics. I’ve learned that I find the double layer heavier weight fabrics MUCH more comfortable. Try it with a pad as a test as suggested by others here.
    Looking forward to the day I can have multiples of the same hammock in many different fabrics! Sounds like a dream.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Fitting a hammock is like finding a shoe or hiking boot that feels right. We lay in a tent but we sort of wear a hammock.
    This is genuinely kind of poetic.

Definitely helpful in the mindset shift. I’ve gone through this sort of thing with leather boots, and the process with hammocks is beginning to feel similar.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    The bugnet and the ridge line should be separate systems.

This is related to the adjustable ridge line,

I am not sure why this would not be more variables than you want to deal with. At least more variables than I want to deal with. I am happy to keep the ridge line at the manufacturers length until a I know something that makes me believe that is not correct. Though it is easy to shorten with ‘loops’ if one really feels the need.

The ridge line also keeps the bugnet out of your face.

But in theory it is there to improve your lay.
    I was under the impression that since the Chameleon bugnet was designed to work with the fixed length ridgeline provided, that it would be wise to remove the bugnet before making changes to ridgeline length (so as not to rip or damage the bugnet).

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I am same height (abt 15lbs heavier, tho) and went with what Dream Hammock suggested for me for a 10-foot hammock, which is 64" width and made with Robic (now MTN) 1.7. I like the shorter hammock because it can be hung in slightly tighter spaces than 11'. I now have several hammocks, of course including some 11-footers but that first DH (Darien) remains my favorite.

Since then, I've used that 10'x64", 100" SRL 'formula' with some netless hammocks (TreeRunner from SLD) made with Hexon 1.6 and to me they feel just about as good and 'locked in' as that original DH.

Also, I don't think anybody mentioned it yet but you might try changing your lay direction. Just a few nights ago I introduced a young guy (also 5'8") to hammocking using one of those 10'x64" TreeRunners I mentioned and right off the bat (without telling him my lay preference) got him to try both directions and he ended up preferring head right. He tried switching during the night but in the morning he found himself back at head right.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I kinda like head right, feet left but I got a WB BB before I know there was such a thing as head preference and their standard is head left feet right. Now I have a mix of hammocks with both designs. If I'm tired enough, it doesn't matter.

I used to tout the shorter hammock - if it still gives comfort - because I figured it would work in tighter spaces. But then I realized it was the tarp that was dictating the tree distance. It doesn't matter if the hammock can hang in 8-9 feet if the tarp is 11 ft long. You can shorten that requirement just a little if you angle the tarp. But with a "short" hammock you still need distance for the tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Give the hang position of the hammock to the out of centre hang…. Place the foot end closer to the tree or tie off point…. Keeping to the foot height higher than head height….
    Creates a slight degree of adjustment shift to the overall hammock centre of weight bearing…. Also reverse to see how the effect goes at the head end closer to tie off point… still keeping head end lower than foot end.
    All the best…

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    Quote Originally Posted by msk707 View Post
    All the Warbonnet stuff is definitely on my list to try. I’ve got my eye on the 2023 SoCal hang - In the meantime I’ve still got 6 months to learn from all of you virtually.
    I'm also new to hammocks, and looking at the larger warbonnet blackbird, but I'm not sure yet if I like a left head/right feet lay. I flop like a fish in the night, and have woken up completely side/fetal position in my hammock before. I'm watching dates for socal as well. it's only a 6-7 hour drive.
    Last edited by cosmonaut; 11-09-2022 at 00:19.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    cosmonaut, you may not want to compare your sleeping behavior in a bed to what you'll experience in a hammock. In a bed, you developed pressure points and your body moves to alleviate those. In a hammock, your body is gently suspended such that it's "set and forget" - much less moving around. No that's not true of everyone. But many will testify to it.

Do know that it might take a day or two for your muscles to learn they can relax more. So those first couple of nights might feel a little weird - especially if you are away from home.

I sleep outside often at home, but the first night in the woods, I hear - or think I hear - every twig snap.

There are lots of great hammocks out there. The Warbonnet is one of them.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by msk707 View Post
    Looking forward to the day I can have multiples of the same hammock in many different fabrics! Sounds like a dream.
    My excuse was one for each of my boys and one for my wife. I tell them they are theirs and they are, when they come with me! The boys were young and skinny at the time hence the lightweight hammocks. Now they are 20 and skinny. Lol
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast