Dreamhammock sparrow
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Tropical weather
    Suspension
    Straps and knots

Help request on tarp ridge

Hello forum. I'm seeking some advice on my tarp setup. I frequently fail to be able to get full tension across the ridge despite the tieouts being at tension. This results in a kind of warping or double ridge along the ridge. You can see what i mean in the attched photos. This is using diamond config for ease of illustration but i find a similar problem with CRL. Any advice welcome. The tarp shown is DD 3m x 3m ultralight. Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    This is beacause you pull it diagonal. The fabric has quite a lot of stretch this way. You can try it with your hands. No stretch n 90 degree pull, and stretch in 45 degree.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock sparrow
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Tropical weather
    Suspension
    Straps and knots
    Helpful! Thanks for that. In that case it means it cannot be removed? Love your photo posts by the way

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You might rethink the "full tension along the ridgeline" criteria. Why does it need to be "full tension". Sometimes we make rules that aren't really there - like the trap ridgeline has to be level. No reason for it to be level. Sometimes it's better if strung with a little tilt. Same with the "tension" issue. Sure, it needs to but taut - but not necessarily stressed.

It looks like you have opted for a split ridgeline instead of a continuous one. Part of the advantage of a continuous ridgeline is the ridgeline alone, not the tarp, takes the tension/stress from tree to tree. The tarp hangs under it and is positioned by sliding some form of prusik knot or hardware like NAMA claws. You are less prone to overstress your tarp with this CLR style.

But for your current setup, maybe things have been stretched out of their initial shape such that ridges are inevitable. I can't imagine if you hang the tarp just taut, that you can't take one side and hold it out at some angle so that it is wrinkle-free. Now having a place to stake it at that position is a different matter.

If you can lay it out flat on the ground, wrinkle-free, then elevate the ridge line a few feet up - just as an experiment - and stake out the diamond "corners", is it still wrinkle-free?

The question is, is this final "smooth" position actually possible with the current shape of your tarp.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-07-2022 at 13:29.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock sparrow
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Tropical weather
    Suspension
    Straps and knots
    Thanks cougarmeat. Fair point on reviewing the purpose. I like your suggestions on experimentation and i will give that a try.

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's good not to have Trap super tight when wind picks up don't rip glide lines out ground.
    To much chat, not enough hang.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    3 Feet High and Rising - there are a couple of schools of thought on bungee cord as part of the tarp suspension - usually side guylines (and external pole mod) and much less seldom on the ridgeline. One advantage is the "give" effect. For example, if someone were to trip over a guyline, there would be some flex before transferring directly to the tarp and stake. The flex can be convenient when the wind picks up because it allows the tarp to shape to distort and spill some of the wind load before it gets strong enough to pull up a stake. That does depend on your orientation to the wind. After a few "that's a strong wind" camping experiences, I no longer orient the tarp broadside to the wind. Or course, after setup - and it's always AFTER setup - the wind direction can change. I set up parallel (when possible) and often get lift instead of tarp sides pushed into the hammock. So I have to consider my staking for that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts