Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Asym
    Tarp
    OneTrigris 10x10
    Suspension
    alpine hitch knots

Attempting a DIY external pole mod

Hi folks, I have a new OneWind tarp with doors, which I'm loving so far, but I am having troubles finding tent poles for external pole mods (In Ontario, Canada). So here is what I have so far. Some 1/2" CPVC piping that I cut in half and connect with a coupling. It totally works in the meantime as a prototype, but ultimately for backwoods camping I will hopefully find the right tent poles to use in the future. Has anyone had a similar experience and can shed some light on some DIY external pole mods, and if there are any pointers with the side tie-outs I would love it. So far I just have some cheap nylon rope but I would like some sort of adjustable cordage in place, any pointers and tips are welcome !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I've done both the exterior and interior pole mods w/ that tarp.
    For the exterior mod like you're doing I used 5, 13" long, .344" tent poles. 4 of those had inserts so that they would slide together. The one w/o an insert made it so that when they were assembled both ends were the same.
    Then I just hooked the piece that can be used to hold your extra guyline, into the end of the tent poles.
    Of course this means I don't have the shock cord run through the middle of the poles but when I upgrade some hardware I'll do that.

I can get pics if that's not clear.

I bought the tent poles from a vender in Florida, so can't help you there.

Also it looks like maybe they don't give you a shock cord loop w/ a linelock and the other piece I'm talking about on the pull-outs any more?

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    You can find dozens of 'tent poles' on Amazon Canada, or if you prefer branded MEC sells MSR 1.2 meter adjustable poles by the pair.
    Also Warbonnet outdoors has a youtube video setting up their Superfly tarp that uses a slightly different way to pull the side panels out.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Nothing wrong with your solution, and if you're car camping or hiking a short distance into the woods it really doesn't matter much what you use since weight and volume aren't a concern. And you could even use small tree limbs for the same job if those are handy.

If you're a backpacker who uses trekking poles, they also make perfectly good external poles for your application.

In this pic, you'll also notice that I use a one-piece ridgeline with the tarp suspended beneath it, which 1) keeps the poles from rubbing on the tarp and 2) gives a bit more room to lift the side panels of the tarp. I use 2.5mm bungee cord to attach tarp panels to the poles.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Seb,

Looks like you have the side pullout attachment points on the tarp already. For me, I really dont like the idea of the poles above my tarp. I think there is too much risk of tarp damage if the poles fall onto or rub onto the tarp.

I use hiking/ski poles or just straight sticks/limbs to deploy my side pullouts I then run a guyline from the pole, to a ground stake. Yes its one more thing to watch walking around camp but its simple and effective. If I use the stick/limb route, which I do most of the time, then I have the hiking poles available for immediate use instead of having to take them off the tarp and ridgeline.

Im sorry I dont have a picture of what I am trying to explain. Im sure if your interested, someone smarter than me, on this site, can post a pic for you.

Have fun.

Bob

I may have found a pic for you. Not computer savy so it may not work. This is what I was trying to explain. Thank you to Wills Gear blog.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RperZxDzi...0/FILE0779.jpg
    Last edited by Draketake; 11-08-2022 at 11:23.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The pull-out (or edge guyline) to trekking/ski poles works and is a double function. I have a little problem with double-function gear While it's used for one thing, it can't be used for another.

For example, on my kayak trip, my paddling partner proudly showed me how his towline could be used as a clothesline (instead of using a separate line). But when we went for a day paddle, he didn't have his towline (safety gear) because it was being used as a clothesline. I've also seen paddles being used to elevate a tarp to porch mode. In addition to making it unavailable as a paddle, it exposes it to more ... events that might damage it. When kayaking your paddle becomes very precious.

A hiking pole is less critical. I can still walk without the trekking pole. Now if the schedule was such that one is done hiking for the day when camp is set up, and the next day the camp is taken down for hiking to a different location - then that pole has no other job in that "at camp" interval. But if I'm doing day trips from one location, I prefer not to be messing with a setup once established.

Sure - it's just a pole and you may want to remove it anyway - in order to close up the tarp while you are out during the day. So that "put it up - take it away" aspect is a pretty minor concern.

The ends of my shock-corded external mod poles are much safer for the tarp then the carbon steel tip of my hiking pole or the sharp point at the end of my ski poles.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebbysu View Post
    Has anyone had a similar experience and can shed some light on some DIY external pole mods, and if there are any pointers with the side tie-outs I would love it. So far I just have some cheap nylon rope but I would like some sort of adjustable cordage in place, any pointers and tips are welcome !
    There are ways to take advantage of the side pull-outs without adding poles either inside or over the tarp. See this image (courtesy of Shug, of course):

Shug demonstrates using trekking poles off to the side, but a tall, sturdy deadfall branch would work just as well.

I'm not adding this approach to detract from using poles (I often use poles over my tarps with side pull-outs). I just wanted to share that there are options for how to leverage the pull-out capability besides the common "pole mod" approaches.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Popcorn Fool,

Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to explain. Should've known Shug wouldve been a great resource for the answer.

If I understand what Cougarmeat just added, I also use something other than hiking poles/wading staffs etc. Usually its limbs that I pick up near camp.

I just like to get to the camp site, set up the hammock/tarp and be done. I dont want to mess with taking down and putting back on, the over the ridgeline hiking poles. Yeah it really doesnt take very long. I just dont like it. Also for me, if anything can go wrong it probably will. I dont like those pokey and sharp hiking poles anywhere near my beloved Hammock Gear Journey Tarp.

Have a good nite all.

Bob

[QUOTE=LowTech;2082436]...

Of course this means I don't have the shock cord run through the middle of the poles but when I upgrade some hardware I'll do that.

.../QUOTE]

You don't need pole tips to use shock cord. There are small washers available that stop the shock cord from slipping through the existing pole ferrules. You just need to put that single female pole somewhere in the middle.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    [QUOTE=TominMN;2082660]
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post

.../QUOTE]

You don't need pole tips to use shock cord. There are small washers available that stop the shock cord from slipping through the existing pole ferrules. You just need to put that single female pole somewhere in the middle.
    Thanks, I am aware of that but it would keep me using the pieces that came on the tarp (I'll have to look and see if I can find the name for them). I'd rather upgrade to Beasty D's and then I would need the new end tips anyway.
    They are on my list of hammock/ kayak/ bikepacking hardware that needs upgrading.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast