Onewind 11’ w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    Onewind 12’ Silnyl
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles & St

First trip report(s) - Algonquin and Presqu’ile Provincial Parks

So, had an opportunity to get out a couple of times over the past two weeks and headed up to Algonquin Park first. Still nursing a slightly compromised ankle, so opted to head to an organized campground (Mew Lake) rather than the Western Uplands Hiking Trail that was my first choice. Proved to be a wonderfully relaxing few days, ideal weather, and a pretty decent spot to hang.

Was able to keep the tarp in porch mode the whole time there, enjoying the lake view.

Went hiking with my camera and crossed paths with a woman who was searching for a Pine Marten that had been spotted; she had been looking for it for 3 days on the hiking trail. I got back to my site a couple of hours later, and a few minutes later I had a visitor:

Seems my luck was better than the woman’s; I sure hope she got her sighting as well. Hopefully she got a better shot than I did too.

This trip happened to coincide with my birthday as well, so I celebrated with a wee dram:

After a few days I moved on, and my travels took me south to Presqu’ile Provincial Park, where I got one night in before they closed the park on Oct 31st. Found another good spot, a stone’s throw from Lake Ontario (site number found with a quick Google search). Turned out to be incredibly loud, both because of the waves crashing on the beach, but also the incessant rustling of what seems like every single raccoon in the entire park coming to visit, as I was the only one of four sites active in the entire park that night who wasn’t inside a camper van or RV.

So, as far as ratings go, I’ll give Algonquin a 10/10, and Presqu’ile a generous 6/10.

To paraphrase the quote about golf and pizza, though, the worst day hammocking is better than the best day working.

Looking forward to meeting some of you at Valens on the 11th/12th!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SvenGolly; 11-03-2022 at 16:11.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Bunnahabhain is one of my favorites, specifically the ceobanach, good choice.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That Pine Martin is too cool - We have them over our way, but I've never seen one. Have fun at Valens.

A.A.

• + New Posts