SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Never got to do this before my knees got too old. Refresh my memory..... isn't the grand loop like 40 miles?
    yes, between 35-40 miles depending on which “unofficial” trails you use in the NE quadrant. I think you can even make it a bit longer by adding side trails to view points. The ITAYG south loop contains most of the greatest hits and is more popular, but you also have to deal with the Spence Ridge crossing where the foot bridge no longer exists. I know gorge miles are harder than many locations in the region, but I’m hoping I can get it done in 3 days by traveling light and focusing on water strategy and quick meals.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sounds like you've done your research. Best of luck and please let us know you made it out.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Just in case you don't have. Below is a link to my gorge master trails map. You can download the GPS file to use in whatever app you like. I use Alltrails, but most of the gorge rats use Avenza. Most of the routes are actual GPS tracks. Even with the map, though, ledge can get you off course and slow you down a little bit.

I've had to strip down and cross Spence in February. Just put my dry clothes back on and got moving. Not the safest thing when hiking solo, but it was only knee deep. Important to know the flow rate of the river before setting out, though.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...r-07fc15c?p=-1

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks Dvankirk. That map link is super helpful.

It’s a shame the Forest Service doesn’t have the funds to rebuild that foot bridge. I haven’t crossed the river at Spence Ridge in the winter before, but I’ve done it at higher CFS and it can be a dicey experience. Seems the easiest (if not solo) is going from east side to west with someone swimming across first and the other throwing packs from the upper rocks.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    I did Table Rock to Shortoff and back this weekend. The remnants of TS Nicole dumped 4+ inches of rain on Friday. Gully Pipe was flowing, and the MST on Shortoff was practically a river. Shortoff Pond is officially a pond again, and there was even water flowing at Chimney Gap (where we stayed last night). So lots of places for water refills along the SE quadrant.

We met a couple who were trying ITAYG from Wolf Pit counter clockwise. They got down Spence Ridge and turned around. The river was just too high to cross anywhere through there. They also got lost twice - the leaves on the trails make it tough to follow in some places.

You gotta love the weather in the Gorge this time of the year. A tropical storm on one day with 70F and 45 mph winds from the south. 2 days later and it’s upper 20s F and 35 mph winds from the NW. The winds this morning took out 2 of my tarp guy lines and 8in icicles we’re hanging along the trail through the chimneys.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks for the trip report. I was debating bringing my Minifly for weight savings but may take the bigger one with doors for wind block. I keep checking mountain forecast for Shortoff and the weather looks cold but relatively clear. It was calling for snow flurries earlier but now looks like light winds and no precip.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY rectangular
    Insulation
    DIY Climax Apex
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    We'll be waving at you from Shortoff. The plan is to go in at Wolf pit and hike Shortoff tomorrow (Friday Nov 18th) down Cambric to the river and camp on the east side. Then backtrack to camp Shortoff for a quick out Sunday or if it's windy go on down to Falkner Flats to minimize the wind.Packs are a little heavier so won't be traveling to far. Will be utilizing Avenza with the Rat Map and a paper map for backup. The Avenza app is my go to for navigation and I can't say enough good things about it. Two men and two boys a walkin in the Gorge!

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryRSole View Post
    We'll be waving at you from Shortoff. The plan is to go in at Wolf pit and hike Shortoff tomorrow (Friday Nov 18th) down Cambric to the river and camp on the east side. Then backtrack to camp Shortoff for a quick out Sunday or if it's windy go on down to Falkner Flats to minimize the wind.Packs are a little heavier so won't be traveling to far. Will be utilizing Avenza with the Rat Map and a paper map for backup. The Avenza app is my go to for navigation and I can't say enough good things about it. Two men and two boys a walkin in the Gorge!

That walk back up Cambric is a doozy! Lots of nice beech trees at the bottom camp there by the river.
    Have a right goodie.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryRSole View Post

have fun! I’m re-thinking my camp strategy for Sat night. They’re now calling for 30mph winds on Shortoff so I’ll probably try to camp a bit lower in one of the gaps. Going to be chilly in the early hours of the am…

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    have fun! I’m re-thinking my camp strategy for Sat night. They’re now calling for 30mph winds on Shortoff so I’ll probably try to camp a bit lower in one of the gaps. Going to be chilly in the early hours of the am…
    You could tuck back into the rhododendrons at camp shortoff, but the wind on shortoff can be brutal when it picks up. Had a couple tarps get torn up there when that freight train of wind comes screaming up through the ditch. Chimney gap and saddle camp are usually better protected. Sounds like a great weekend to me with less people out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast