Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Fall Colors at the Lake

I love the seasons. Summer, winter, spring and the fall all bring their own magical beauty throughout the mountains for different reasons. It does not matter how many times you have hiked that same trail, climbed that same mountain, or camped in that same vicinity. If you go there and do it at different times of different seasons, I promise, you will NEVER be let down or disappointed. Sometimes you may have to push a little harder and prepare a little differently and use appropriate gear but its always worth it. This trip we hiked a mere 7.5 miles throughout a beautiful day, taking our sweet time. We found our spot to make camp next to a babbling brook feeding a lake, very early in the afternoon.. with ample time to sit and relax, gather wood for a fire, relax some more, enjoy afternoon coffee, relax even more and then make a nice fire as the deep pink/purple and red sunset swallowed the evening sky over the lake surrounded by trees of late October colors, turning our campsite into the best views anyone could ask for, with the mere cost of a 7.5 mile hike in. This trip for me was more of a camping trip, as last month my Northville-Placid trail thruhike was more intense with 7 consecutive high mileage days.. I wanted to do some easy miles this time, with friends and have time at camp to chat and do as little as possible except take it all in and absorb nature and all of earths magic for this time of year! My gear used on this trip was: Pack; Zpacks Nero 38 L. Quilt: MLD 28° quilt. ( Night temps dipped to 31° ). Bivy; MLD Superlight bivy. Tarp; Borah Gear solo silpoly 5×8.9 ( not needed or used). Sleep pad; Thermarest Neoair X Lite regular/wide. Sit pad/ ground pad/ chair pad; Gossamer Gear 1/8 thinlite pad. Chair; Helinox Ground. Cookset; Evernew Appalachian Set using Esbit tabs ( Evernew 500 ml cup/mug with titanium dx stand and I use a custom titanium wind screen) Food storage; Ursack . Water purification; Steripen ( I LOVE IT).
    Last edited by Dirtbaghiker; 10-30-2022 at 16:09.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great hike, and the absolute best of Fall in the Lower Hudson Valley!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Yeah Bob. That was fun. Sometimes an easy short but scenic hike and plenty of time to sit around a sweet camp spot and take it all in is really nice. I was thinking today, it would have been nice to spend the day there yesterday and camp one more night!! Lol.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another good video Dirtbag!

Pretty dramatic colors up there in Harriman & looks like a fun trip. I love this time of year in the woods.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks odbewlax! Sure was spectacular colors especially the glowing sunset over the lake surrounded by colorful trees..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Yeah Bob. That was fun. Sometimes an easy short but scenic hike and plenty of time to sit around a sweet camp spot and take it all in is really nice. I was thinking today, it would have been nice to spend the day there yesterday and camp one more night!! Lol.
    Lol I though you might like that spot.

But I think I'm going to go back and do a full loop of Wanoksink to see if we missed anything.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    That's what i was thinking this morning on train ride to work. 2 things.. #1. Do that full loop around to check out that area we did not. #2. As we hiked into that area.. to our left on that mountain top looked possible.. which was my original idea to camp..

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just love that copper brown color of the oak leaves in the fall and the sunset you had was incredibly beautiful. Another strong case to get out east and explore some of those gorgeous area's you have. Great little video, thanks for sharing.

A.A.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Same here Adventures_Angler.. It is pretty sweet. Thank-you. I dont mind posting, obviously I dont get all fancy with cameras and equipment and lighting/ mics.. just point and shoot with my phone... and then I quick edit on my phone also.. I like that years later I have footage of the little things that i may have forgotten. And I dont mind sharing them for whoever interested..
    Last edited by Dirtbaghiker; 10-31-2022 at 15:45.

• + New Posts