Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Exclamation Hyperlite Quilts

Just curious if anyone has seen the new Hyperlite Mountain Gear quilts? I have their Junction 3400 pack, and I love it, but their quilts are so overpriced, I’m wondering if maybe I got ripped off on the pack too? They want like $499 for a 40 deg. $599 for a 20 deg. I know inflation is happening but either these guys didn’t do any market research or someone up there must be high. There’s no way this thing is $200 better than a HG premium.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    For me, it would be hard to justify the price if the competition's products are of equal/better quality, features and if pricing is lower. Obviously, there are a lot of variables in manufacturing that can have a big impact on pricing. However, some are very brand loyal too, which in that case, is justification alone.

I've got 20 deg & 40 deg quilt sets from HG and they are worth every penny.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They seem to be a company that touts ultralight backpacking.
    Ultralight costs $$~
    They are using 1000 Fill Power-Down in their quilts. I've not even heard of that. And the word Power in there adds up.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Yeah, between Hammock Gear and Enlightened Equipment, it seems hard to justify that price for what isn't even their specialty.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    They seem to be a company that touts ultralight backpacking.
    Ultralight costs $$~
    They are using 1000 Fill Power-Down in their quilts. I've not even heard of that. And the word Power in there adds up.
    Only problem is, their quilt is a tad heavier than HG or EE or UGQ premium. My 40deg UGQ regular with 10D/950 is a bit lighter than the HMG 40deg made with 7D. In fact, my EE Enigma *30deg* 7D/950 is 14.12oz, also just a skosh lighter.

I don't get it. Must be those elves again. As with Arc'teryx, some people are willing to pay for it so what the heck and more power to 'em.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, IMO the pack prices are a bit high, but not insanely so like the quilt.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    We had a new storefront open in Bend. They offered a puffy jacket for $6,000. The rich are different from you and me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Looks like paying for number. 1000 down and 7d ripstop. All sound premium from a box spec perspective. And that matters to a lot of people when they select something.

I do like the product description. It twice talks about their '3D baffles'. Uh... Good...? 2D would not have a lot of loft...

This does move HMG slightly down on my informal 'vendors of interest list'

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    We had a new storefront open in Bend. They offered a puffy jacket for $6,000. The rich are different from you and me.
    Probably made from Eider down hand-collected by native Inuit just after the ducklings shed their spring plumes.

Next time somebody disses duck down remind them that the puffiest down in the world comes from ducks. And then somebody comes along and offers a $50,000 down jacket made from the plumes from Emperor penguin chicks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    Looks like paying for number. 1000 down and 7d ripstop. All sound premium from a box spec perspective. And that matters to a lot of people when they select something.

I do like the product description. It twice talks about their '3D baffles'. Uh... Good...? 2D would not have a lot of loft...

This does move HMG slightly down on my informal 'vendors of interest list'
    Marketing speak for "not sewn thru," which describes pretty much every quilt offered by any regular vendor on HF.

However, for quilts rated warmer than 40deg sewn thru is fine, and perhaps even preferred, because there isn't enough down in them to fill the volume of boxed baffles, leading to gaps. I have an older (about 11 years now) EE Revelation 50deg and it definitely has big gaps that are easily seen when held up to a strong backlight, and a sewn thru Timmermade 50deg that has no gaps and is warmer. A thorough deconstruction of materials and amounts of down and design (etc etc) would reveal it's not entirely an apples/apples comparison, but suffice to say that sewn thru design is not necessarily an immediate disqualifier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast