11' Robic XL
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Time to upgrade from Robic 1.0?

I've had and used my Robic 1.0 hammock from bearded hanger several times, a few years ago. Then I finished college, had a kid, bought a house, and after some years off, I'm heading back out into the woods. I've lost a lot of my ruggedness and I remember some stories of Robic 1.0 ripping with no warning and I'm thinking about upgrading.

If it's been a good hammock, is this a valid concern? Is MTN 1.2 the replacement these days and I can take comfort in that extra 0.2? Will MTN 1.7 be as luxurious as the lighter numbers and it's time to lug around that heavy 4 ounces in the name of safety?

I'm 5'11" usually around 185 pounds, and always place items that could poke the hammock in the Ridgeline organizer before ever sitting in the hammock.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    It’s your own choice. Your preference.
    I like Hexon 1.6 or MTN 1.7
    Not everyone likes the same hammock fabric, I’ve not tried many other fabrics. Others posted they liked Hexon 1.6 So that’s what I got

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    The latest episode of the hammock hangers podcast had some good info about fabrics. The episode centered around heavier hangers and recommended hammock fabrics, but the descriptions given of what the fabrics feel like might help you decide.

I’m close to the weight limit on hexon 1.2 but I find the fabric comfortable. Like PG offered, it’s all about preference.

http://sites.libsyn.com/432429/episo...-larger-people

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Time to upgrade from Robic 1.0?

I have a trail lair in mtn 1.2. I'm 150lb soaking wet. I don't remember the weight rating, but it feels supportive.

Hammock
    11' Robic XL
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I appreciate all the advice. I know how fast technology moves these days, even in a hammock, and just wanted to get some opinions on where to go. I searched for Robic and I don't think there was a single post about it for a few years.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naticen View Post
    I appreciate all the advice. I know how fast technology moves these days, even in a hammock, and just wanted to get some opinions on where to go. I searched for Robic and I don't think there was a single post about it for a few years.
    The biggest reason you haven't heard about Robic is because — and I'm *really* fuzzy on the details here, so don't sue me if I get it wrong — there was some sort of trademark or ownership dispute and it ended up that "Robic" became "Mountain 1.2, 1.7" etc. So it's still around by another name. I have a couple of DH hammocks made back when it was still called Robic, but now you'll see it commonly referred to as MTN 1.2, 1.7 and the like.

All that said, going forward I'm just sticking with good ole Hexon 1.6, more for the durability and common availability as well. Even with an emphasis on UL gear, this item is so important that it really is worth carrying a few extra grams for peace of mind.

That's my 2¢ ennyhoo.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts