Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Old gear to the rescue

Yesterday I went out on the AT to Leroy Smith shelter for AMC shelter watch. It was foggy and wet but no forecast of rain. I’ve been digging into my basement gear boxes and found some old gear I haven’t used in a long long time. I took Molly Mac Gear Insultex underquilts and Jacks R Better FrogTogs type of under & over protection. I forgot what it’s called. No forecast of rain but sure enough I got caught in a deluge. I had just enough time to set up my hammock and the other gear. I forgot a tarp but the JRB gear kept me dry in the hammock. The MMG gear is fairly waterproof too so I wrapped myself in it while settling up my hammock. I stayed warm and dry.

These pieces of gear aren’t made any more. I’m glad I didn’t throw them away. Thanx Molly Mac and Jacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Every once in a while I'll dig through my gear bins and find some old piece of equipment that I end up using on my next trip.

Always interesting to see the evolution in personal gear choices.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Old gear to the rescue

It was JRB’s Weathershield covers I had. It used FroggToggs material.

I was out again today on the AT in 46° windy weather. I set up again to see how well it worked. With blue jeans, long underwear top, a down vest, wool socks I fell asleep for an hour. I made sure the Insultex was up against the hammock to work properly.

Yes there are more lightweight and less bulky options available but the stuff is 10 or 12 years old and still works great.
    Last edited by Crash; 10-28-2022 at 17:57.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

I got to go through tons of my old stuff recently, half of which was lost to mold. I found a 25 year old rock climbing harness... which I think was probably safe to use, but who knows would you really want to trust that? I tossed it out. Those fabrics CAN deteriorate although I dont think by much.

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    Quote Originally Posted by Clown Pusher View Post
    I got to go through tons of my old stuff recently, half of which was lost to mold. I found a 25 year old rock climbing harness... which I think was probably safe to use, but who knows would you really want to trust that? I tossed it out. Those fabrics CAN deteriorate although I dont think by much.
    I work in live event production. We depend on harnesses to save our lives, and have to have them re-certified often. We don't keep any past 6 years, but I'm not sure how the rules apply to rock climbing harnesses. It's unfortunate to treat a moderately expensive piece of safety gear as an expendable, however.

That said, this hammock hobby has ignited my desire to give rock climbing or cave exploring a try!

• + New Posts